Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hump Day...

No comments from my buds yesterday -- either I'm being ignored or folks still think Zyzzyva's "down." That's OK, it's not like yesterday's post was overly interesting.

Tonight I'm headed to Mike's to finish up our Onslaught game and start another. Yes, this truly is a 3-4 hour game, and, even though it has hexes and generic units, it does a nice job of simulating the breakout and attack on the Westwall. I also just started a Wilderness War game (Annus Mirabilis scenario) via ACTS. I'm the French, and the first card play for the Brits was the big Highlanders (4 units!). At least Wolfe didn't show up with them... I really do love this game, glad to be getting back into it.



We had a Greek Festival in class today, after the students gave presentations on Greek gods/goddesses/titans they researched. It was a lot of fun, and I'll be skipping lunch today after all those grape leaves, hummus, and goat cheese!

I'm pretty pooped right now, didn't sleep well last night for some reason. Had the strangest dream -- that I had died and was getting "lessons" from a ghost-like person about the "rules." Essentially what I could or couldn't do. I was asking about getting together with Gypsy, when I woke up in a cold sweat and my heart racing. Admittedly, this scared me somewhat, so it was over an hour before I was able to settle down and drift off again. Since I woke up into the world of the living this morning, I'm guessing it was only a dream...

7 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

First comment, I win!

Mr. BACSIM said...

Ya know, if you *told* people you were posting again, you'd get more readers. I think your dislike of baseball is affecting your mind!

Even if ya don't like the big leagues you've got to get out to some minor league games on a nice hot day. Down some brews and kick back. Most excellent. Nels goes sometimes. Maybe we should all go and watch the Mets farmhands get killed in Buffalo. They are off to an almost unimaginably bad start....

Pam and I sat down with the calendar and looked at what we already have scheduled this summer. Good lord. Something is already set up for nearly every weekend! It's going to go quick, and tiring.

Boston Fan said...

Welcome back to the land of the posting

Halifax Pete said...

>Ya know, if you *told* people you were posting again, you'd get more readers.

Exactly.

I'm not a big fan of baseball either, but I agree with what Grant said. Minor league ball is fun. I used to go to Ottawa Lynx games when I was up there for business and always had a good time. I could usually get a seat right behind home plate for 8 bucks. Great fun.

Jeromey M. said...

David Letterman is and always will be right about baseball.

"Fifteen minutes of action crammed into two hours."

Mr. W said...

The Rochester Red Wings are one of the most storied minor league teams out there. The have a very long history (going back to the late 1800s under a different name). Growing up, I used to go to the games a lot. In '76 they had one of the best minor league teams ever (beating the Denver Bears in the AAA World Series), as 3 years later almost the entire starting lineup was in Baltimore facing the Pirates in the World Series.

However...

I have been to 4 Red Wing games in the past 10 years, all times when my students were singing the National Anthem. I never lasted past the 5th inning. The game is intolerable to me, and I can't, for the life of me, ever understand how I enjoyed it in the past.

As Homer once said when watching baseball during the month he promised Marge he wouldn't have a beer, "Hey, without beer this game is boring..."

I can still play a baseball sim now and then (as a boardgame is more exciting than the real thing), but I really can't enjoy watching the game. I have lacrosse through the Memorial Day Weekend, then I guess I'll have a lot of "outside time."

:-)

Mr. W said...

Yeah, I probably should alert folks I'm up and going again, but since I've dropped the ball in the past, I figured I didn't want to draw attention to myself and do the same!

D'oh!