Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lethargy

I was hoping that April would be a month of "rejuvenation," but it really wasn't. School was tedious (though I want to make clear to any readers that I've never given my students less than 100% -- it's just that by the end of the day I'm spent and feeling empty) and April Break was a drag. I did very little over break, save for playing a few games. I've been trying to jump-start a good diet and exercise program, but I'm just not finding the will, nor the energy. I really need to get out of my funk, or it will be the end of me (undoubtedly pleasing a few folks...).

Cheyenne continues to be my best friend, and I am giving what little I have to her. It's funny how one can become so close to an animal, but, as the saying goes, dogs truly are man's best friend. Still missing my other best friend, Gypsy, each and every day, and I'm still finding it hard to believe she died more than 2 years ago. I have decided, that, for me, the loss of a beloved dog is harder than the loss of a human, as no death has ever weighed on me so heavily. Cheyenne has helped take some of the sting out of things, though I don't know how I'll ever go through that again.

Cheyenne after chasing tennis balls...

So, there's my black mood, still festering. I'm not sure there will be anything to look forward to this summer. I'd love to get back to Ocracoke, but I imagine it would be a solo trip, and that's not going to fit the bill, I don't think. I do wonder if I'll ever get back to what has turned out to be one of my favorite places. There's a chance I can get Cheyenne involved in agility training this summer, so that might be the ticket to get outside and get some exercise. Part of me wishes I didn't dislike baseball so much, for the sports scene is pretty lame until football picks up again in the fall. Of course, there's always gaming, and that is one aspect of my life I still find some time to enjoy.

Right now, Mike Cardwell and I are on our 2nd game of Onslaught. I like the game, for it uses a variable impulse system, which helps create uncertainty and chaos. Right now, we're nearing the end of the game, and my Germans are hoping the Allies can't breach the Westwall too quickly! I also played my first game of Wilderness War in almost 2 years with Nels Thompson in Buffalo. I almost forgot how much I enjoy the game, and we decided to end in a draw after we both made some mistakes down the stretch. I'm hoping to get another game going soon. Oh, I also finished up my play-by-email Successors game. I didn't win, but had my chances. An attack of mine didn't work (poor dice and a mutiny in my ranks!), and this handed victory to Chris Milne. But had I won the battle in Greece, I would have been unstoppable. Oh well, win some, lose some.

Mike and I will be gaming this Wednesday, and I think I'll be headed to UB for BACSIM on Saturday. The question is, will I have to board Cheyenne to do so? That should keep me busy...

I'll probably try to keep the blog updated, at least minimally, with gaming content (if nothing else). I have purchased a bunch of "new stuff" lately, and there's more on the way. So, I should have some comments on games I have yet to try. If agility training does begin, I will be able to "diary" about her progress here, as well.

So, thanks for letting me take the month off (I know I'm back a few days early, but I had time...). I needed to do that -- now, if I could take a break from school, life, etc., I'd be fine!

3 comments:

Go Pats said...

comment

Mr. W said...

Wise-ass!

GO Pats said...

you asked for it