Thursday, May 7, 2009

Drizzly Days...

Weather here has been pretty yucky the past few days. Right now, it's 51F and drizzling. Very, very gray. I guess this means spring is coming! On a better note, everything's beginning to bloom, and the Lilac Festival should be gorgeous this weekend. It's a fun time -- if you can get to it, just walking around ad taking in the sights and smells is worth it...


There's this little website called "My Brute" where you can sign up a "fighter" and automatically enter into fights with others. I got one going today, "Idiot Gal," and she went 5-1 in the arena. She's resting now and will have 3 fights tomorrow. It's not a computer game -- you don't control the fighters, you just sit back and watch. But it is mindless fun (I was introduced to it yesterday by John Foley). You can come and fight Idiot Gal (you don't lose/gain anything for this, as it isn't an "Arena" fight) by going here:

Fight Idiot Gal

Come on by, give Idiot Gal a fight, then head to the Arena to see how you fare! As far as I'm concerned, mindless is good sometimes...

No gaming with Mike this week, Espana 1936 has been pushed back to next week. I'm also going to get started on the Combat Commander Stalingrad Campaign with Derek P. soon, Really looking forward to that, as Combat Commander may just be my favorite game! I really need to organize my game room this weekend...

Last night, I got my first full night's sleep on a work night for the first time in the past 2 weeks. It's actually pretty nice to be able to come to work and not drag.

9 comments:

BobT said...

Hey Rob, we have yet to have our annual "what big game are we gonna play this summer?" conversation. While we've never actually followed through with one of these, whadda ya wanta play this summer?

Mr. W said...

LOL! We had the best intentions with "The Burning Blue" a couple summers back, but man, I just could never get my head around those rules...

Last summer, we just wanted to play a lot of Combat Commander, and we stuck with that, no? I think doing the Stalingrad campaign would be cool...

Of course, we can talk about other stuff, too, as we do have a good chunk of time. :-)

The Other Mr. W. said...

I oughta become a teacher, and hang with you guys in the summer! LOL

BobT said...

OK, a lot of CC it is. I'm also boning up on World at War for a couple games to be played at Origins. Do you wanna give that a try?

Mr. W said...

Ron, you should. While the pay is much lower than what I was used to, having 3 months off each year (2 in the summer) is priceless...

Mr. W said...

Bob, I kinda gave up on World at War due to all the "cool stuff" one could only get by downloading stuff from the LnL website and playing "cut and paste."

Really pissed me off... :-(

Unknown said...

Not a good time to become a teacher in many places: there're more teachers than positions, so big competition for jobs.....

Robin

Mr. W said...

Yet there are places that need them. I know that, a few years back, Clark County, NV (Las Vegas area) and Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte area) were offering big recruiting bonuses.

I have no idea where the "hot" places are today, but folks that are willing to move have a much better chance than those that want to stay put.

The Rochester-area market is very tough, as 6 area colleges are pumping out waaaaay too many teachers...

Unknown said...

In Canada, two years ago it was Calgary that was frantically looking for teachers....not sure where now....in Toronto now there are very few jobs as the school board's number of children is declining by 4,000 p.a. given the aging population, smaller families, new immigrants moving into the 905 belt around Toronto.....add in *big* teacher education programs at the universities here plus the northern New York state colleges getting people who fail to get into the Canadian programs to attend their programs by advertising them as compatible and recognized for the curriculum here (not that anyone here is hiring their graduates -- it's a bit of a nasty scam.)


Robin