Monday, May 11, 2009

Grading, Grading, Grading...

OK, got most of it done tonight, still have some Social Studies projects to grade (Greek Gods and Goddesses). My procrastination has come around to bite me on the ass since progress reports are due next week. I also have 2 meetings tomorrow -- 1 all afternoon (special ed placement) and one as a "stand in" for a colleague (Medieval Day planning) after school. I suddenly find that I need a bit more time...

As the week progresses, gaming will get good. Playing Combat Commander -- Stalingrad Campaign with Derek on Wednesday, then Espana 1936 with Mike on Thursday. Saturday is the Rochester group's monthly meet at Millennium, so the good gaming times will be continuing... I'll try and get some kind of AAR up, as it's been a while.

Syracuse did beat Siena, dominating the game but not scoring as many goals as they should have. The final was 11-4, next up are the Maryland Twerps, coming off a beating down of previously undefeated (yet untested) Notre Dame.

Finally, in my constant listening of books on CD whenever I'm in the car, I'm about 40% of the way through Frank Herbert's Dune, and I'm really enjoying it. Over the years, I've started reading the books about a half dozen times, always ending in boredom/frustration. On CD, however, I've really gotten into the book, and I'm glad I'm finally learning the story...

7 comments:

Kwebec said...

Hi Rob,

You're lucky, I was able to scape one small nite of gmaing since GMT East. Too busy at work (ok, I HAD TO go to Barcelona one week, even met gamers there) still no game, but last Sunday A Fatal Attraction, and altho there is a good game in there, ATO really seems to champion the fact, that they can not writes a rulebook clearly, and they won't even accept this plain truth... Still looking forward to play it again.

Did you order A MOst Dangerous time?

George Haberberger said...

Dune is awesome, as are the next two books, though not as awesome as the first, and each one is good in it's own special way.

I saw your marketplace post, and I think I could call in enough brownie points to get together for a game of Dune, if one ever comes up.

Anonymous said...

I read the first 3 Dune novels in the late 70's. They were really good. See the series has since expanded.

Mr. W said...

What are the next ones?

I think I remember "Children of Dune," is that right?

Mr. W said...

Marc,

I'm with you on ATO -- they even were able to screw with the rules of Charles Vasey's previously published game, "Deathride."

Not only are the graphics horrible, the games pretty much suck, with a few exceptions -- the aforementioned "Deathride" and "Not War But Murder" are actually the only 2 decent ones I can think of...

George Haberberger said...

After Dune is Dune Messiah, not very much action, lots of politics.

Then comes Children of Dune, more action oriented.

Then comes God: Emperor of Dune, set thousands of years after Children.

Then comes a slew of Dune books, set before and after Dune, some written by Frank Herbert, some written by his son, none of which held much appeal to me, and some of which had terrible writing (the ones involving his son).

Mr. W said...

Thanks for the info, George. :-)