Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Long March...

Finding it very hard to get back into the swing of school this week. And, even more distressing, I find that my $3 "Mega Millions" ticket didn't win, so no $143,000,000 for me. Not sure how I'll handle the disappointment...

I probably should have moved to the Keys 20 years ago. Or wish I had known about Ocracoke 20 years ago. Worked as a bartender, saved my money, bought a boat, then I could be spending my days on the water, making $$$ off tourists. Perhaps writing on the side (I have no tolerance for this right now after spending my days writing/around others' writing). Oh well, I guess we all look back and wish we did some things differently.


I wish I had more time to spend with Cheyenne and work her into the dog she should be. Whether it's an agility champ or a Frisbee dog, she really needs to be able to show off her athletic abilities. Unfortunately, after a long day at work, and long day in "doggie day camp" for her, we're both too pooped to do much more than hang out and/or take a short walk in the evening. Living in the 'burbs is also a hindrance to her training, as I just don't have the space I need. More laments...

I think I need to put in another 13 years before I can retire with full benefits (assuming my pension hasn't been pissed away by sleazy politicians), or 7 with limited bennies. I'm not sure I can hold out for 7, let alone 13! I really need to sit down with a benefits guy in Albany one of these days to find out my exact circumstances. I guess I should be happy I have a tenured position -- I've been out of work once in my adult life (my choice, so I could make a career change, and I even got a ton of money upon leaving), and it's not a fun place to be. Too many worries about what tomorrow will bring.

Maybe I will win Lotto one day. Somebody has to, right? Barring that, I guess it's hold on for the ride, eh?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could deal with a Lotto win.

Barring that, another 15 years here would see both girls out of college, and presumable out on their own. I'll catch up on my gaming in the nursing home.

Mr. W said...

OK, George, if I don't win, it's all yours. ;-)

Unknown said...

When seven or thirteen years seems a long time, think of poor little me, working with no pension plan, destined to slave away late into old age, only to be cast aside on the scrap heap of broken humanity....

:)

Robin

Anonymous said...

8 years, 10 months, and 15 days to a full pension for me. I'd like to leave about 5 years from now and move back to Ontario. My oldest wants to go to university and join the navy, and he'll be in one or the other in 5 years so that seems like a good time to make the break and move.

The problem will be whether I can afford to retire early, given that I'll lose pension amounts for retiring before age 55, before 35 years of service, and the amount my ex got from my pension when we split. Like you, I need to sit down with the departmental pension people and get some numbers.

Mr. W said...

But, but, but, Robin...

You're in the Great White North -- surely all those years of excessive taxation means you'll be able to live VERY comfortably in your latter years, no?

;-)

Mr. W said...

Good luck, Pete. Sorry some of your pension goes to the ex.

Yuck...

Anonymous said...

19 years and 2 months to go....

quit yer whinin'

Unknown said...

Well....my wife's part of the Pension Plan That's Eating the World (otherwise known as the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan), but is only two years in....and, yes, I'll get my government pension to supplement it....not to mention the fact that we won't have to pay a penny to get full health care coverage and such....so, it's likely we'll not be too badly off....not that I want to crunch the numbers! :)

Robin

Unknown said...

That would be the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan of course....yes, I can does English grammar!

Mr. W said...

Well that's good to hear!