Monday, February 23, 2009

Millennium Gameday...

Had fun at Millennium last Saturday.

Played Le Havre, Roll Through the Ages, and Combat Commander: Pacific.

I'm really enjoying Le Havre. It's one of those "meaty" euros that seems very well-thought out for varying numbers of players. The game is a true balancing act and will be hitting the table a lot, over the years.

Roll Through the Ages was OK. It's like playing Yahtzee, with civilization building. I did have a thought about it last night, in that I could perhaps use it with my 2 Social Studies' classes, having them "play" each other. Might be a fun little activity to kick off each class.

Now, CC:Pacific was the best of the lot on Saturday (Hell, I'm a wargamer, what can I say?). Got to play scenarios set in Northern Burma ('44), the Philippines ('45), and Guadalcanal ('42). The game plays differently from the other Combat Commander games (Europe and Med), and I think that's a good thing. In the Pacific, combat seems more brutal, and I guess that's pretty historical. I think I prefer (slightly) the European and Med theaters, but Pacific will get played a lot, that's for sure -- like choosing between steak or lobster for dinner, depends on one's mood...

Now that school is back in session, I have a looooong stretch until April Break kicks in. Will I make it? We shall see! I do need to start getting more gaming in, both FTF and via the Internet. I even re-acquired Silent War, as I think having a solitaire game set up downstairs i can return to when bored will be a good thing. I hope...



And speaking of downstairs, we have mice running through the walls. Cheyenne hears them when I don't, and it drives her nuts! Well, Friday night I was cleaning up some games, getting ready for Saturday's game day, and she made a big commotion behind some boxes. Out she prances, with a ginormous mouse in her mouth (we're talking a fat bastard who's been eating well in my house)! I ask her to drop it, she does, and her tail is going a mile a minute. The mouse is quite dead (crunched, I imagine). I pick it up in a bag and put it out with the trash, then give her a big treat and make a huge fuss over her. She was very excited, and now she's even more focused on hunting down in the basement. Who needs a stinkin' cat, eh?

Next time, I'll need to take a pic...

6 comments:

Mr. W said...

Anyone here have any Silent War experience?

Anonymous said...

> Who needs a stinkin' cat, eh? <

The Cat would have caught it, played with it and then killed, packaged and threw it in the garbage for you. Then swept up the mess afterward.

Cory

Mr. W said...

As much as I dislike mice in my house, I really hate the way cats torture them. At least Cheyenne just kills 'em right away...

Anonymous said...

Cats that are happy and fed will play with them but normally they will kill them right out. I know some of ours will kill them right away and since we have 4 cats now, we do not have mice or rats anymore. Just the scent of a cat is enough.

I love all animals. I used to have lots of Dogs ( five at once matter a fact ) but now it's my wifes turn to have what she wants. : >)

Cory

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cheyenne :)

Mr. W said...

She got a rabbit the other night. First of the year. I'm not pleased about that. Mice -- kill 'em; rabbits -- let 'em live...