Thursday, February 12, 2009

NBW Report -- Sunday (2/8/09)

Got up, showered, packed, then checked out. Headed back to the ballroom to see that it was only about 1/3 full now. Sniff...

I decided to get in one final game -- a 5-player Le Havre with the Canadian crew (Robin, Jeff, Kevin, and Chris). It was a fun game and I was doing pretty well. Robin thought he was out of it, but whenever I looked at his buildings, he was doing better than I! Well, I made a BIG mistake at the end, buying the Sawmill (why????) instead if the Bridge over the Seine. Guess who bought it? Yes, that sneaky Griller guy! Anyway, once the final round was over, Robin won. The scores were: 117-104-94-73-53. I had the 94, yet if I had bought the Bridge I would have had 108 and Robin would have been at 105 (I believe I did the math correctly). Double D'oh! My mistake again (I learned a lot from Griller thrashings in Dominion and Le Havre!), one I won't make in the future...

Well, Marty had a plane to catch, so we were off. I said a sad goodbye to the guys still there. I know I'll see Art and Lembit at WBC, but guys like Don and Michael from Halifax and Marc and Francois from Montreal will have to wait until the next NBW...

Icy Niagara

The border crossing was a piece of cake, Marty got dropped off on time, and I picked up Cheyenne from the kennel. I got home and then napped for 3 hours, as I was exhausted.

Another great NBW, my favorite "little con" in the world. Already looking forward to next February!!! My only disappointment was not making either of the Three Dog Night concerts. Now Cory's going to be hassled for tickets for a while until I can make the next show!

(Oh, I still need to post the CC tourney results, I'll do that soon!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

>including when Joan of Arc (or is that Jeanne d'Arc?) won a big battle for me in Normandy.<

Hey!, you played Joan of Arc. See, she was good to you : >)

Mr. W said...

Caught in my own web... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I do marvel at your recall of this stuff. My write up of PrezCon would be something like, "I went to Prezcon. It was fun. The End". ;-)

But I guess being a teacher, you're never too far from the "What I did last Summer" essays! :-)

I always like reading your recaps. You've made games I wouldn't have even thought of buying (due to my topic preferences) sound interesting, like "Warriors of God".

So games like 'Dominion' that do appeal to me, are now an instant, I must have! ;-)

Will try to get in on a game like Le Harve at PrezCon. Sound much like Puerto Rico in game style. Hope it's different enough though.

Kwebec said...

I must admit, there is always a down when I leave a Con. And this one was really great. The drive was long but Francois and I always found a topic to go on. And seriously, provided it would have been acceptable to my wife, if my youngest boy (the gamer of the two) would have asked me to play CC sunday nite, I probably would have :-)

I feel bad missing 3 Dogs Nite concert as well. If I would had arrived at Niagara on Wednesday instead of Thursday I would have made it to one concert. I needed the gaming fix. He's really a nice guy and fun to talk to. Next year I should try to plan a game with him.

Be sure Warrior of Gad will be played here soon.

Played Agricola yesterday. Big game by Euro standard. Loved it. I read it was somekind of a cousin to Le Havre.

Next year, Montreal group should be at least up by 50%.

Mr. W said...

Ron,

I took notes of who was playing each game I was in, so I kinda cheated!

Warriors of God is chaotic, yet fun -- you just have to take it for what it is: an area control game where nobles die off constantly, so your plans always need to change.

And thanks for the kudos -- it's always a pain in the butt getting a write-up done, but it's fun once it's complete (though I still have 2 posts due -- one on the "other" NBW, or games I wasn't involved in, what other people did, etc., and a recap of he Combat Commander tourney). As long as a few folks are reading 'em, I'll keep writing 'em up...

Mr. W said...

Marc,

I'm glad to hear the Montreal contingent will continue to grow! I really enjoyed our WofG game, and will look forward to more gaming with you in the future :-)

Agricola and Le Havre are by the same designer -- I'm told Le Havre is the "deeper" game, though I've never played Agricola.

Unknown said...

I've only played Agricola once, but thus far Le Havre definitely feels heavier to me....

On the Le Havre front, I'm not sure if I should tell my thoughts, but strategy-wise I would say, rule number one is that you only buy buildings if you have no choice -- it doesn't get you any VP (Francs are VP, so buying is trading VP for the same number) and goods are much easier to get than Francs. So, buying anything was probably the wrong move, build instead.

Beyond that: don't try to accumulate big stacks of resources (exception below) as it's inefficient -- winning this game means being efficient and only keeping one step ahead of your resource needs; the exception is to build a big pile of grain OR cattle, in order to turn them into bread/meat in one fell swoop, thereby maximizing long-term food supply through minimum number of actions....if it's a less than 5 player game, you have to buy a ship or two as early as you can, in a 5 player game ships aren't as important....Finally, don't worry about whether a building will bring you resources (through others paying to use it), as what matters is to maximize the return in VP on the cost of resources, which means buying as many buildings as you can get your paws on.

The tough thing about Le Havre is that you have very very few actions (28 in the five player, 35 in the four player)....mistakes take away a substantial portion of your actions and can be difficult to recover from....my own mistakes in that game should have cost me the win....

Robin

Unknown said...

Oh, and NBW is amazing....extreme fun. Too bad I have to follow it with being depressed for a week at the return of real life!

Robin

Anonymous said...

Kwebec

J'espère qu'il y est un prochain temps pour nous de jouer. Si donc je vous des billets pour le spectacle. Mais vous devez d'abord obtenir le nom right.Three Dog Night.

Cory

Anonymous said...

Rob

Are you off this coming week ?.

cory

Anonymous said...

Of course he is.....

So he can have an excuse not to go to PrezCon and lose during RonCon

He'll be there next year so he can force Shannon to play a CDG.....

Mr. W said...

I am off this week, still catching up with my sleep!

Prezcon? What's that?!?!

Kwebec said...

Cory, srry for the mispelling... Still I'd like to see the show ;-)