Monday, September 22, 2008

Back in the Swing of Things...

OK, my September resolution is to get Zyzzyva back on track, with at least 5 entries per week. I have a laptop I can use from home (though I still need to get a lot transferred over from my old desktop), the "beginning of the school year" hassles are winding down, and, frankly, I feel re-energized!

On Saturday, we had gameday at Millennium. I got there a bit late, and ending up watching Jack Morrell and Bill O'Neal play the Princeton scenario from Hold the Line. I have the game, but haven't played yet -- it looks to be right up my alley (quick and fun!). Bill's Redcoats hung on for the victory, as Jack was denied the Princeton hexes, right at the end of the game. While watching, a guy who found us on the Web came over to introduce himself. His name is Kevin Crowe (I think I got the last name correct), and he's been playing AH and SPI games for 30+ years. His old group of buddies has kind of gone their separate ways, so he decided to seek out new gaming friends. Since I started the Rochester Gamers in 2000, we've had so many stories like that...

Anyway, Kevin and I sat down to a game of Iwo Jima. As I'd yet to see a Japanese win, I offered Kevin the Marines. Of course, we'd been playing a rule wrong in previous games (U.S. armor and artillery need a beachhead to land -- we were letting them land without one!), so the Japanese won this one handily -- the Marines were raped on the beaches, and a beachhead wasn't established until Turn 5, which was too late. I felt bad, and hope Kevin comes back, LOL!

I went out for lunch at the Indian place a few doors down, then returned to Millennium and chatted with folks for a bit. Eventually, we got a 4-player Successors game going. It was a fun game EXCEPT for the fact that Marty Sample's favorite Atlantic Storm player whined and played sooooo slowly. Need to find a new 4th for the next game, or use chess clocks. It was excruciating. Anyway, I was dealt the 2 generals that controlled the Hellespont between them (both begin with "Ls") -- a nice starting position, but a dearth of troops. The first part of the game was spent securing territory, and I was doing all right, but was low man on the legitimacy totem pole. So I attacked a champion, becoming a successor, and shot up in VPs. As Turn 4 was ending, I grabbed Alex IV and had the highest VPs and Legitimacy, combined. One more round, and I could declare Alex IV the new ruler, with me as regent and the game win. But the "Treachery" card was played on me, I lost Alex IV, and the game went on. We called it due to time, and the player controlling a big army in Macedon (Jeff Heideman) probably would have won. A great game that could have been won by anyone, only marred by slow play and whining. I'm looking forward to playing this one again soon...

Well, Cheyenne's dropped off at doggie day care, the kids are arriving, so time for me to get into "school mode."

Yes, we're back!

11 comments:

Msample said...

Successors is an oft overlooked game in the CDG genre . It does take a bit more work than others, and it is probably a bit more unusual - thus, stupid slow people need not apply .

My all time worst WBC open gaming experience was with this game . It had just come out and we had three people , looking for a fourth . Some random dude offers to play, so we set up down in the hallway in the bottom level of Hunt Valley . Pretty soon this fucking hillbilly dude is half in the bag . Add to that his low IQ and his need to take a smoke break every 15 fucking minutes….

Still a great game . We usually get in a game or two a year at our monthly club meetings .

Mr. BACSIM said...

Don't kill yourself with updates Winslow. Just don't take 2 weeks between them! :-)

Well, I survived the great Disney trip. Now I need to start thinking about the 4th anniversary meet for BACSIM.

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOH,

Looks like someone at Ft. Useless is checking out the blog :)

A new gamer in the Yorktown area ????

Mr. W said...

Successors is definitely a good game. It will be played again, soon.

Mr. W said...

I'll be at UB, Grant. Will there be strippers?

;-)

Mr. W said...

Ft. Eustis? Check it out, John!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the gamer in question will see this

Mr. BACSIM said...

Quite frankly, I don't *want* to see any of our gamers strip!

Anonymous said...

just thongs....................

Mr. W said...

Will UB supply them?

Mr. BACSIM said...

No, not with the budget cuts.