Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Successors and Football

I've been thinking some more about the GMT game Successors, since playing it on Saturday. It seems we played a few rules incorrectly, and I've found what appears to be a rule that makes no sense. I've posted on CSW for a clarification, and I hope the rule was just incorrect (it relates to taking vacant Major cities -- that is, a Major city with no control markers). I do think this one is a real "player," especially since Mark Simonitch and John Firer took over the design from the original designer and made it more, well, fun to play. I will insist on using chess clocks, however, if any of the players in the next game are thinking of not playing quickly.

And, man, but I really hate slow play. And whining. In fact, in a "friendly" multi-player game, I will throw away my position just to attack a whiner. No way will I ever let a grown man who makes the game unpleasant win. Makes my INFP side feel good...

Also, I heard from Jack Morrell, the American player in the Hold the Line game I was watching. While I reported the game as a British victory (for that's what I was I told -- I went off to play Iwo Jima before the game ended), Jack informed me that his Americans did indeed take Princeton with 2 turns to spare. Apologies to the Rebs!

Football this weekend was fun. I've been an Oakland Raiders' fan since I was 7 years old. But I've finally lost all patience with the old zombie, Al Davis. He's completely loonie, and I just wish him dead, so the team can move on. With him at the helm, the Raiders will always flounder. Once such a proud franchise, the class of the NFL, we now see the Raiders as the joke of the NFL. So I did something on Sunday I've never done before -- I rooted against them, and for the Bills. And the Bills won a good game on a last second field goal. Really a shame that we've sunk this low...


Somebody needs to die...

Finally, back to gaming. Headed over to Mike's tonight for some Warriors of God gaming. I must admit, this game is fun -- I love the chaos. And I'm happy to get back into a regular gaming schedule, now that school is beginning to get back to normal (and not be crazy each day!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>Bills won a good game on a last second field goal. Really a shame that we've sunk this low...<

Hold your tongue mister!!,

Come on,, can't you just be in our corner just for the fact your major might buy them.

Cory

Mr. W said...

Oh, the Bills have always been my #2 team. I just never got the "jolt" out of them the Raiders used to give me.

But the Bills can go places this year, the Raiders won't. So I'll cheer for the Bills...

Anonymous said...

Now I feel better.

We got some steelhead to look forward to this fall.

Cory

Anonymous said...

"Proud franchise"? "Class of the NFL"? I must have missed that development! I do have a few choice adjectives that I've always used to describe the Raiders, but no sense kicking a team when they're down.:-) Perhaps you should consider switching to America's Team? Go Cowboys!

Great to have you back, Rob!
TN

Mr. W said...

Steelhead yes, Cowgirls no!

;-)