Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Ancestors...

While my surname is quite English, and my biological father supposedly traced it back to the Mayflower and Edward Winslow's family (look at me, a Blueblood, LOL!), the "good" side of me is all Italian. My mother's maiden name was Fumia, while my grandmother's maiden name was Caggiula. I grew up in an Italian household (having had my parents divorce at a young age), and both maternal grandparents influenced my life -- with more than food, though that was part of it...

Now, getting back to the Italians, the Caggiulas emigrated from northern Italy, around the Milan area. Boring... The Fumias, on the other hand, came from Sicily, around Caltanissetta. Interestingly enough, one of Rochester's "Sister Cities" is Caltanissetta, Italy! We even hosted an exchange student from there one summer -- I was 16, she was 20ish and beautiful, I was in love all summer, but I digress... I have always had a soft spot for Sicily in my heart, and it's one of the (very few) places in Europe I'd actually like to travel to (the British Isles being the other). I know my uncle went there about 10 years ago, ran into many distant relatives, and almost bought a vineyard (how we wish he had -- he now owns a vineyard in Oklahoma, of all places!). I think I could go there, use the Fumia name, and be treated well. Sicilians really are the best -- not truly Italians, but better!

So, with my fondness of Sicily, I actually agreed to play a hex game (no cards!) with Mike Cardwell on the Allied liberation of Siciliy in WWII -- Sicily: The Race for Messina. The rules have a bit too much grit for my liking, but I'll plow through them again in the next couple of days, to get ready. I hope to play the Allies, and I'll toast Papa Fumia when I liberate Caltanissetta!



Connections like this can truly make games "come alive!"

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go to Sicily and chase Italian women around. Let me know when you want to go :)

Mike C.

Anonymous said...

"Sicilians really are the best -- not truly Italians, but better!"

cough, cough,

equal at best, Pilgrim ;)

Anonymous said...

Latecomer.

Family history says we're related to the Senecas, going back to Revolutionary War times.

But, I'm comfortable citing German ancestors, it gives me another reason to love beer and schweineschnitzel.

Richard Simon said...

SICILY is probably the best of the WW II S&T's. You won't have any trouble picking up the rules because, other than the unknown unit strength, it's typical S&T (and, in this case, that's good!)

Mr. W said...

I'm looking forward to Sicily -- a fascinating campaign. It needs a good CDG treatment!

And Senecas are better than non-Sicilian Italians, as well ;-)

Anonymous said...

Is this a Nathan Killgore game he was working on ?


Cory

Anonymous said...

Boy, that's a lot of "self justification" to go through just to play a straight up hex wargame! LOL ;-)

Kwebec said...

W, you should try Bitter Victory, BSO game. It's neat, fast. I read about the campaign, and never tried the S&T game. Played Anzio tho (the S&T fomr the same system I think.

Fun ready about family story. i like to think my good 1/4 is Irish ;)

BTW since NBW, I got Le Havre, Agricola and Dominion... All because of you ;-)

Mr. W said...

Nathan's upcoming game is on Salerno, not Sicily, I believe, Cory.

Mr. W said...

Ron, yeah, I really do need a lot of justification to play a game sans cards...

Mr. W said...

You only have a good 1/4, Marc?

;-)

Hope your kids are enjoying Dominion! And Le Havre seems to be a euro worthy of many plays. I really like it!

Kwebec said...

Rob, are you now at that point where no cards, no play? I mean not really, but REALLY ;)

Just received Bastogne, giving it a try tonite.

My best 1/4 is Irish, then you don't want to cross the other 3/4 on a bad day :-P

Haven't tried Dominion yet... My bad. I do have a Euro Weekend on the 13th... Shoulod try it there at worse.

Mr. W said...

No cards means the game better have something "special" in it to grab me...