Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Peregrine Falcon...

In my school, there's a small courtyard enclosed on all sides by three-story walls. I often cut through the courtyard, on the way to the copier or office from my classroom. In the past few weeks, I have seen no fewer than 5 pigeon wings. Nothing else, just the wing. Figured it was a hawk, eating a kill on the edge of wall, dropping the wings into the courtyard.

I was wrong.

Cutting through the courtyard today, I saw movement on the far side. Focusing on it, turns out there was a peregrine falcon eating its kill! The pigeon was about 1/2 eaten or so (a lot of food for a falcon that ain't that big!) and the raptor was staring at me. I quietly stepped back in the door I came out, not wanting to spook it.

I checked later, and the carcass had been picked pretty well clean (whether the falcon did this him/herself or mice/rats/crows/whatever helped out is unknown). The mystery of the pigeon wings is now solved. Evidently, this falcon understands it can "trap" pigeons in the courtyard, as they come down to eat seed and crumbs. A nice little hunting ground it's scoped out for itself! I am impressed, and hope to see this bird again, soon.

Pretty close to what I saw today

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had the same thing happen by me at my work, last year! We have a courtyard same as you dscribe, enclosed by three sides. I was on my way to the snack machine, which is inside the connector, and I passed the door, which is made of glass and right by the door, this Falcon was munching down on its kill. I called my boss as he's an avid hunter and would appreciate this, to come look, and he told me it was a Perigrine Falcon. Looked similar to your photo, so I'm sure my boss was right.

We warned folks not to go out that way, and it was never spotted again after that though.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the bird that eat a Morning Dove on my drive way a couple years ago. Big mess of feathers to clean up later.

Mike C.

Anonymous said...

"Nature, red in tooth and claw."
TN

Mr. W said...

Peregrine Falcons really are the coolest. They can hit speeds of up to 200 MPH. I would love to see one knock a feathered rat out of the sky.

In downtown Rochester, there's a mating pair that's been nesting on a Kodak office building for years. Folks come from all over to watch them, and Kodak has set up a web cam for others to see them. Once the weather warms up and the eggs are laid, I'll try to remember to post that link...

Anonymous said...

I think Osprey are pretty cool also. I love to watch them look for Prey over the water and catch a fish off the surface of the water.

How cold is it in NY. I've been in LA all week.

Cory

Mr. BACSIM said...

UB has just tons of Hawks. See 'em all the time. They just love all the thermals and wide open fields with rabbits and squirrels. I've driven past a few hanging out on guardrails and literally been with a few feet of them. Pretty cool.

It shows you the time it takes nature to adapt to new environments. Suburbia came in around 40 years ago and now any number of animals that had been driven out of the area have figured out how to work in it. Turkeys thrive around bike paths where they can't be hunted.

Mr. W said...

It's approaching 60F here today, Cory!

Mr. W said...

I've heard estimates that there significantly are more white-tailed in America today than in 1492. Deer need open spaces, so clearing forests has actually been good for them, as has been the removal of their natural predators -- wolves and mountain lions.

Anonymous said...

I would say I agree with that. We have more deer now then in 1776 also. The fact that is was one of the main food sources at the time said they were being pursued all the time with no such thing as a “hunting Season” in effect. They were ( as well as other animals ) hunted all year.

>t's approaching 60F here today, Cory!<

Maybe in your house Rob. 8 >)

Cory