Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wild Brighton...

Thinking about my peregrine falcon sighting yesterday, I started thinking about all the wildlife I have come across in the town I live in -- Brighton, NY. Even though we're smack in the middle of suburbia, some animals have thrived here. Evolution at its finest!


Here's a quick list off the top of my head of animals that live around us:

Birds (not including songbirds -- too numerous!):

Turkey
Peregrine Falcon
Red Tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Barn Owl
Mallard Duck
Common Loon
Great Blue Heron
Shrike
Great Horned Owl

Reptiles/Amphibians:

Garter Snake
Grass Snake
Newt
Spotted Salamander
Leopard Frog
Bull Frog
American Toad

Mammals (including marsupials!):

Red Fox
Raccoon
Opossum
Coyote (wish these weren't around!)
White-tailed Deer
Woodchuck
Mouse
Rat
Beaver
Muskrat
Rabbit
Chipmunk
Squirrel
Mole
Bat (Little Brown Bat, I believe)
Skunk

I'm sure I've overlooked some animals, and there are others which have been spotted in Brighton in the past couple of years (Black Bear and River Otter), but not by me. I think that, if I had it to do all over again, I'd become a wildlife biologist. As it is, I enjoy having wildlife around, and I'm very glad that some species have been able to adapt to "city living!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've seen a hawk a couple of times in the last year or two in our neighbourhood in downtown Toronto.... really cool, kids're always thrilled. My favourite spotting was when we saw a hawk sitting in the tree in our courtyard, with the remains of a pigeon in its claws!

One time, I spotted a hawk out of the corner of my eye as it swooped down and snagged a pigeon.... surprising there aren't more of them, given that there's a plentiful supply of such easy targets! :)

Robin

Mr. W said...

There are a few open fields I drive past in the morning -- always several hawks on the fence posts hunting mice and moles.

Anonymous said...

I saw a turkey off 104 this morning, but then Webster still has a lot of undeveloped land, and farmland, and orchards.

Anonymous said...

I thought that the only wild life in Brighton was on a Saturday night ?.

Anonymous Cory

Anonymous said...

I've seen Coyote in Pittsford and on my street. They walk very fast and look ragged. The one in Pittsford looked sick.

Mr. W said...

A sick (rabid?) coyote wouldn't be good. About 5 or 6 years ago there was a rabid fox in town that bit a cat and 2 kids. Cat was put down (idiot owners hadn't given it a rabies vaccine), kids had to go through the series of shots. One of the kid's fathers killed it with a baseball bat...