Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In the beginning...

Just a quick post to say, "Yes, I am here!" I do plan to use this blog quite frequently, as I am full of galimatias, and I need a forum from which to spew. I hope you will enjoy my musings once I get going, and get going I will.

So, if you've stumbled across Zyzzyva as I'm getting things set up, please check back soon.

OK, back to the grindstone.

Who am I and why am I doing this?

My name's Rob Winslow, going by Mr. W here as that's what many of my students call me. Yes, I teach, 6th Grade Social Studies and Math. I'm married to a beautiful, intelligent woman, Deanna, and have been since 2004, the second time for both of us. We have a two year old dog named Cheyenne -- you've undoubtedly seen her picture in the header. She came into our lives April, 2007, as her owner was ill and could no longer take care of her. We had recently lost my "dog of a lifetime," Gypsy, and I wasn't ready. But Deanna said, "Let's take her," so we did. And she quickly wormed her way into our hearts.

I imagine a lot of the content here will be game/history related, as I used to have a blog (2 iterations of it, actually) on Consimworld (CSW). a site dedicated to gaming, mainly wargaming. But I found that there were a few "bad apples" there who, through the anonymity of Internet posting, tended to wreck the experience. So I decided to get a "real" blog going and see where it takes me, with the unsavory element left behind. My one claim to wargaming fame is that I developed the GMT game Wilderness War, a strategic game on the French & Indian War.


Here we see Montcalm and Wolfe staring each other down in the Hudson/ Champlain Valley! I also have many ideas of my own for game design, and they may come out in time.

So, I'll need to think about some of the topics I'd like to address over time, and get back to this blogging thang soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean I have to play this game ?

I can't just admire the box ?

Mr. W said...

Wilderness War? Yes, you have to buy it!

Cazart! said...

Well better late than never I guess! Now have you on an RSS feed, so the bulletins from Zyzzyva post to my Yahoo home page. Somehow I find it fitting that you and APL can cozy up together on my little corner of teh interwebs.

Good luck with the blog. Have fun!

Mr. W said...

OK, explain this RSS stuff Mike -- and welcome!

(Avalanche, man, that hurts...)

Cazart! said...

(Using Firefox)

In the right hand of the address bar there is a little icon that looks like Craig Grando would use for a radar installation.

If you click on it, you can then subscribe to the page. Meaning anytime there is a change, the content in your RSS reader will change. There are a quite a few stand alone readers, but MyYahoo! added that as a feature a few months ago for your home page. (I use it as my start page.) When I click the radar icon, I choose Yahoo as my reader and then it gets added to my start page. On the start page I see your 5 most recent headlines, with the most recent also giving a few lines of a teaser. CSW News also has a RSS feed and they are becoming quite common.

Also with Firefox you can add an RSS feed to your Bookmark tool bar, but you still have to manually check it. It does show headlines when you hover over the tab.

Mr. W said...

Cool, thanks, Mike.

And I love the "Radar Installation" description. If it wasn't so true it wouldn't be so funny, LOL!