Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jobs and Bunnies...



Yesterday Deanna had to teach a lesson at a district she'd interviewed with.  I guess it went well, as they called her back and later and set up an appointment for her to meet with the Superintendent on Thursday.  It will most likely be a long-term substitute position, for a woman who's going out on maternity leave through January, though it could be longer, one never knows.  An outside chance for a full-time position, but it looks like an internal candidate has the inside track there.  However, she's smart and engaging (what's she doing with me again?) and any school district would be silly to take a pass on her.  I don't want to jinx her chances tomorrow, so I'll go into more detail once she has something secured -- this area of the country has a real "glut" of teachers, so getting a job here is very, very tough.  I would certainly be open to moving to an area that needs teachers, but then I'd give up 10 years in the retirement system, not a smart option.  They keep you with promises of riches (LOL!) in the future.  Really, though, it would be pretty stupid to give up a cushy retirement in 10-15 years unless something extraordinary came along.

Keep your fingers crossed for her.

After that bit of good news, we decided to go out and get Cheyenne a new kennel to stay in during the day.  She came kennel-trained, and is happy to sleep in hers while we're at work.  However, I've always felt that hers was a tad too small, as she can't really sit up or stand up in it completely.  Not a problem when she's sleeping, but still...  So, we went to PetSmart and got her a new, larger one.  This will give her a lot more freedom and, I hope, happiness during the days -- at least it will be easier for her to get a good stretch in!  

She was very excited to go to the store with us.  Many new dogs (mostly puppies) were met, and Cheyenne had a lot of fun.  She was entranced by a big cockatoo, and eventually had to be led away from it when she began barking.  I know, she just wanted to play, but the bird wasn't thrilled...  The store there has a "Pet Hotel" which we'll look into for boarding, though the place we currently take her, Boomtowne, has been fine (just a little out of the way in Canandaigua).  There is also 1 on 1 training given at the store, and that's something else I need to look into.

Cheyenne also got 2 new toys -- just like taking a little kid shopping.

So we get home, set up the crate, and Deanna and I both get some work done.  Before crashing, I let Cheyenne out.  Usually, in the evenings, she'll bark at the back door when she's ready to come in.  After about 5 minutes and no barking, I call her, no response.  My first thought is, "Shit, someone opened a gate and she's gotten out."  So I run down to the backyard, calling her, expecting that I'll be doing this through the neighbors' yards, hoping she hasn't gotten off our cul-de-sac.  But the gates are closed, and she's huddled down by the back fence, and I guess (correctly) why she hasn't come -- she's caught another rabbit.  Number three this spring.  They squeeze in through the fence at various locations, then panic when Cheyenne runs down there and forget how to get out.  The dog's like greased lightning, and almost always gets them (she's 3 for 4 that I know of so far in 2008).  When there's light outside, I always check the yard first, and scare the rabbits away before I let her out.  But when it's dark, like at 11:00 PM, well...

I got her away from the carcass and cleaned the blood and fur off her mouth before turning in.  Not a fun pre-bedtime ritual, as I really don't like her killing the wildlife that inhabits the yard (save for the squirrels -- she's gotten 3 of those, and that's fine with me).  Of course, being a happy dog, she's all proud of herself and struts up to bed.

I figure I'll deal with the body tomorrow after school, and take her out front this morning on a leash before I head to work.  But when I come down this morning, I see a couple of crows by the dead bunny, and one has something bloody in its beak.  I go out and chase them away to see that they've pecked out and eaten an eye and some brain matter.  I get a few bags and pick up the bunny, figuring it doesn't deserve this indignity.  I know, circle of life and all that, but not in my backyard this morning.

Fun.

Finally, the Thirty Years War game with Bill is scheduled for Thursday evening.  Gotta finish up on the rules and keep bunnies out of the yard...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

I'm checking in, and like the new blog. Good to have a place to keep up with you and Deanna.

Mr. W said...

Glad you stopped by, Ron.

I hope to get the word out to my CSW friends.

We're hoping things work out well for Deanna, job-wise, as it will definitely make the rest of the school year easier...

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

Like your new digs man!!

My daughter is starting her senior year in college to become a kindergarten teacher for deaf children and she hopes that having a specialty like ASL will help her get a job. Best of luck to Deanna! I had a squirrel chase my Chihuahua today, so I don't think we'll have a problem with rabbits. They are bigger than she is.!! :)

Derek

Mr. W said...

Thanks, Derek!

As a wargaming dad, did you ever think that Advanced Squad Leader would help your daughter secure employment? Too cool! ;-)

I have a good friend who's an interpreter, and we've worked together two years -- it was always fun having her in the classroom, though, I admit, I never learned much sign language. Best of luck to your daughter.

And Chihuahuas may be chased by squirrels, but when they take over the world, I have no doubt squirrels will serve them...