Monday, May 26, 2008

Syracuse Lacrosse, Cleaning, and Ribs...


In about 3 hours, my favorite Syracuse Orange will face off with the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays to determine the Division I lax championship. They've played in the championship 4 previous times, each winning 2. Also, both schools are tied for the Division I record with 9 national championships -- the winner today will bring home #10, and bragging rights.


When I used to live in the Washington, DC area, the Memorial Day Weekend "Final Four" was always held in College Park, at the University of Maryland (this year it's in Foxborough, MA). I faithfully went (Syracuse never missed a Final Four during my 10+ years in the area) and always had a great time. I think I need to plan for the future and go to a Final Four again, as it always was a wonderful experience -- especially wonderful when SU won, which they often did.

But this year I'll be watching on ESPN, then grading some Roman projects students have done.

Also, we're putting the house on the market soon as we need to move. Our current place is much too big, and Deanna's kids won't be living here anymore. S, finally, it will just (mostly) be us, and we'll be able to get a place we can call our own. I'm holding out for a big game room, and there's even a house for sale with a barn we like that has me wondering -- a game out building? Too cool!

One thing I've been doing this weekend is organizing and packing up games. I really need to sell off a bunch, as the money would be nice and that will mean less to move. I'm debating whether to go to CSW's marketplace, BGG's marketplace, or just look for suckers on ebay. But it really is a pain to sell these things. Why do I have so many games?

Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out as I go. Deanna's cooking ribs today and we're supposed to get intermittent thunderstorms today, so I guess it will be an "inside" day. But it isn't raining yet, so maybe I'll get Cheyenne a little exercise first, or she'll be bouncing off the walls.

And finally, I always do use each Memorial Day to remember the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice, so that I may live as I do, playing games and eating ribs -- and I'm not saying that flippantly. Thank you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why do I have so many games?"

Because like the rest of us you are a *deleted by sysop" who loves history & is looking for that "perfect game"

Recent games that come close....

Combat Commander

Command & Colors:Ancients

Anonymous said...

I'll have to make this a daily stop. I wonder if blogspot is filtered at work, though.

Mr. W said...

The "Cuse wins, 13-10!

Richard Simon said...

I keep saying that I will sell my games. Somehow, I never do

Mr. W said...

I'm in the same boat. I sold about 20 before my last move, I'd love to sell 3 or 4 times that before my next...

Msample said...

I just registered about 25 games for the WBC auction - no holy grails, just stuff that I'll never play . Another dozen or so are destined for the Auction store . A lot easier than Ebarf and dealing with emailing back and forth and trips to mail stuff.

Mr. W said...

WBC Auction for these might be a good idea. Getting them there on time might be the tough part...

Anonymous said...

Just sent your a mail regarding games Rob.


Klaus

Mr. W said...

Klaus,

I won't see my home email until later today, so I'll get back to you then.

Msample said...

You've got the whole freaking summer off - how hard can it be to get the games there on time ?

Got a copy of Vinci you're looking to dump ?

Mr. W said...

No Vinci...

It's the moving thing, storage, etc. that will make it a pain. But I'll definitely look into the WBC auction.

Peter Bartlett said...

A house with a gaming barn would be very cool indeed Rob. That'd be a hard one to pass up. My dream retirement home would have a few acres of land that I could plant with veggies and flowers, and a little 2-storey barn. Bottom floor would be for gardening supplies, the upper would be for gaming. Too cool.

Welcome back. I'll bookmark the blog and visit, probably far too often. And please let me know what games you might want to sell. There are a few I'd like to pick up and maybe they're on your list of games to go.