Monday, June 16, 2008

What, no gaming?

This looks to be a tough week -- between getting work done in the house and getting ready for Medieval Day at school, where I will be, along with another teacher, putting on a "Medieval Science" workshop. Looks like I probably won't have any time for FTF gaming, though I'm sure I'll have several moves this week in my Cyberboard and ACTS pbem HIS game.

On the home front, I have the following to do:

1.  Rip down "grass" paper from 2 walls so they can be painted.
2.  Power wash the deck and the back of the house.
3.  Box all my games and turn the dining room back into the dining room (not my 2nd game room).
4.  Go through my "stuff," box up what I can, mark other things for a garage sale (Deanna wants to have one, should be "interesting").
5.  Begin cleaning out the basement.

Man, my head (and back) hurt just thinking of this!

On the Medieval Science front, I still have to:

1.  Make a Powerpoint presentation for the classes we'll see.
2.  Get a costume (I think I'll be a monk).
3.  Finish buying materials we'll need.
4.  Test all our "experiments" to be sure they work.
5.  Go through a "dry run" with the teacher I'll be working with.

On top of all this, I need to give (and correct) a final Math test for 62 students and grade Social Studies projects on Medieval English Manors for 36 students.  My head's hurting again!

So, no FTF gaming this week, unfortunately.  I might take a break and head to Mike's for an hour or so when he and Bill start playing Third World War by GDW.  That will have to be enough to scratch my FTF gaming itch this week.

Of course, I have next Saturday, the 21st, to look forward to, as this will be the Rochester Gamers monthly meet.  I'm hoping for many games of Combat Commander and Command & Colors: Ancients!

And, last but certainly not least, I've gotta make time for my girls, Deanna and Cheyenne.  Wish me luck...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of C&C Colors, Andy ewis finally got around to posting the battles for the WBC tournament. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but I felt the first round is kind of even and the 2nd round you'll bid everything for one side.

Mr. W said...

I'll have to check those out -- I admit, most of my C&C Ancients playing is "seat of the pants" sort of stuff, so I don't know how much good actual practice will do me, but I guess it would be good to at least know what they are.

Mr. BACSIM said...

Break out the leaches for Midieval Science!

Mr. W said...

We were thinking about leeches, but the darn things cost $28 each at the local science supply store.

Next year, I'll have to spend more time in ponds...

Mr. W said...

I've got the Powerpoint almost done (and looks pretty spiffy, though I wish I had a Smartboard to use instead...).

Now, onto the grading!

D'oh...

Mr. BACSIM said...

Just put worms on them and *tell* them they're leeches!


This is why I'm not a teacher. :-)

Charles Vasey said...

Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) is very good on the Middle Ages. He's a firm revisionist who dislikes the Romans

Mr. W said...

Worms? These kids demand blood!

Mr. W said...

I've skimmed Terry Jones' book on the Barbarians, where he hypothesizes that it was the Romans who were the "real barbarians." He's a good read, but I can't say I agree with his brand of revisionism...

Mr. BACSIM said...

I vaguely recall seeing some of his shows on the issue. Quite frankly from our point of view both sides were barbarians. I would think that both the Romans and the tribes had significant cultural elements. The Roman view of the "barbarian" as an opponent of civilization was far more a "they are in our way" kind of thing.

Mr. W said...

I remember hearing from a college professor (so who knows how true it is...) that the Romans really started to feel the tribes to the North were true barbarians for they used butter and drank beer (as opposed to olive oil and wine).

Not that climate had anything to do with that...

Mr. BACSIM said...

See they're all barbarians! Only truly civilized countries (such as ourselves) use olive oil *and* butter and drink wine *and* beer!

Mr. W said...

Ha! That's true, Grant, quite true!

Charles Vasey said...

The barbarians may have been barbarians but they were our barbarians; no poncey Latin tags and underfloor heating. Just manly axe-use and fat rubbed into the skin.

Anonymous said...

Lets see if I can get through here without a pass word.

Rob

It sounds a like a busy week for you. I guess for Bob also. Have not heard from him.

Mr. W said...

Hey Cory!

(That is Cory, no?)

A very busy week, but after the 26th, it's all over.

Until September.

Regardless, I have enjoyed moving up to the Middle School this year.