Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Food Tastings...

I was thinking about my favorite foods today, since I haven't been eating them lately (LOL!). I thought it might be interesting to list my "best of the best," and see who agrees, and who doesn't -- providing their own substitutes. A nice little break, eh?

The following list is not in order of favorites, but just what I'm thinking of in the moment I type...

1. Italian. I grew up in an Italian household (Fumia, on my mother's side), so I ate Italian most days growing up. I think that, due to this, my taste for tomato-based sauces has diminished, and I rarely have a dish like lasagna or spaghetti and meatballs anymore. But the best Italian cooking isn't tomato-based, imo, and I love seafood. So, we'll go with Linguine and White Clam Sauce for this entry! And yes, I make a mean dish of this...



2. Thai. I never had Thai food growing up -- had to wait until I moved to the DC area in the late 80s. But man, did I ever fall in love with it! Luckily, Rochester now has at least 4 Thai restaurants that can compete with any Thai food I've ever had. And no, though I've tried, my cooking efforts aren't nearly as good as these restaurants. The winning dish is Gaeng Daeng (Thai Red Curry with coconut milk -- any meat will do!)



3. Indian. Yes, another one of my favorites. Such diverse dishes to choose from, and all that delicious basmati rice and naan. Hmm... I need to decide among 5 choices currently swimming through my head. OK, I've decided, it has to be Lamb Biryani -- extra spicy.



4. Cajun. American food is so diverse and often excellent, though too many people only think "hot dog and hamburger," which is a shame. All regions of the country have excellent cuisine, and as I'm in a spicy mood, I'm visiting the old Acadians down in New Orleans. I could go for a good dish of Crawfish Etouffee right now!



5. Spanish. OK, I'm having this rice craving, so I've just gotta go with one of my all time favorite dishes. I've made this myself a few times, with varying degrees of success. It's always good, often it's great. Paella.



6. French. I admit it, I find French food mostly boring, unimaginative, and not for me. Very over-hyped and not all that good, imo. But there is one dish that I love, and I even make it myself occasionally. Who'd have thunk it, me, using saffron. Yes, it's gotta be delicious Bouillabaisse!



7. Caribbean. I love Caribbean cuisine. I worked on St. Croix in one of my other lives, and I often ate at a nice old lady's "hospitality house," having the dish of the day (and being the only cracker in the place!). I fell in love with Curried Goat, Rice and Peas, and Plantains. Man, I gotta get back there, soon!



8. Japanese. My first forays in Japanese cuisine were also in DC. The first time I had sushi, I had it alone and popped the entire wad of wasabi into my mouth (what did I know?!?!). My sinuses were running for the next week. But I developed a true love of sushi, and my favorite piece is Sake, or Salmon.



I could probably keep this up for quite some time, traveling around the country and the world! But I'll end at 8 today, perhaps picking it up some other day. As you probably noticed, I tend toward seafood and/or spicy, in a general sense. I've become a bit of a snob, food-wise, over the years, but that's been a good thing (I think), as it's pushed my cooking abilities along nicely. In Rochester, we have a surprising amount of excellent restaurants for a city this size, and I've definitely been eating my way through some of my favorites!

Let's hear your favorite dishes, or you can pan or praise mine!

Mangia, mangia!

25 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I spent my time with two incomes and no children in Salt Lake City, which has a wonderfully diverse food community, and I've never found much here (not that I've looked as hard now that I have two children). I wouldn't even know where to look for some of the ingredients (let alone restaurants) for most of this stuff outside of Wegmans.

Mr. W said...

I think you'll be happily surprised, Jeffrey, if you start checking things out. I'd be happy to give restaurant recommendations :-)

Also, I too have enjoyed the food scene in Salt Lake -- I had, perhaps, the best snapper I've ever tasted in the restaurant of the Hotel Monaco (forget the name).

Rochester was pretty much all Italian when I was a kid. Now it has ethnic fare that can compete with even larger cities.

Anonymous said...

Winslow - seafood - Plymouth - Cape Cod

Makes sense to me :)

How was Christmas Eve dinner ?

Meatless Italian ?

Anonymous said...

Good list Rob, I'll give this some thought. Hmmmm. Perogis? Tamales? Crab Rangoon? Chicken Makhani? Sahlens hot dogs right off the grill, with Weber's horseradish mustard, a little sweet relish and a big slice of vidalia onion? Man oh man. So damn many good choices...

Charles Vasey said...

I like faggots in onion gravy.

Mr. W said...

I never realized CV was oriented that way! ;-)

For hots (hot dogs to ya non-Rochesterians), I always go with Zweigle's whites. More commonly known as "Porkers," I kid you not.

But they be good...

And yes, spending my formative summers on Cape Cod (West Dennis), saw me eating raw clams at the age of 5 (or so I'm told...).

Mr. BACSIM said...

Clearly this is the cause of so much of the damage!

Personally, I don't much care for spicy food. Slightly sweet is where I'm at. Good Chinese is always worth a go. Chicken Marsala. Fresh corn on the cob! Still, it's very hard to beat a well grilled good steak.

I will happily admit to loving a good summer grilling. Hamburgers with fresh tomato, deviled eggs, grilled corn on the cob, and fresh macaroni salad. mmmmmm

Zweigle's Texas Red Hots are the way to go with dogs.

Msample said...

Surprised that you left off BBQ Rob..

Of your list, the two that I would most agree on would be linguine w/clams ( or mussels ) and bouillabase . My early years growing up in Ohio were pretty bleak food wise, but moving to the East Coast and working in a fish market for several years in high school made all the difference. My boss made a bouillabase that was quite simply to die for . Haven't attempted it myself, although have made some rather good crab and shrimp soups.

The only time I was in Salt Lake , we ate at a place called Mikado near the Salt Palalce . Insane amount of very good sushi and holds the distinction of being the largest bill I have ever seen - about $2200 for 15 people . Luckily someone else was paying. Given the amount of people that visit the Salt Palace, there are a number of other good places to eat in the vicinity as well .

And just about any good quality piece of grilled meat or fish will always be welcome on my plate, as long as it isn’t cooked past medium rare.

Unknown said...

For hot dogs: chili half-smokes from Ben's Chili bowl.

Mediterranean: lamb, lamb and more lamb. Love to cook it, love to eat it out. Hey, it's my culture!

Once you start making hummus at home, you won't bother buying it again...

Indian: there's a place around the corner which does a very impressive spicy Tikka Masala. Otherwise vindaloos are a personal favorite.

Thai: volcano chicken is pretty good, as well as ka prow and a dish the local place calls "wild pork" - almost spicy enough to sear skin off...

French: we've been making an excellent poulet au vinagre of late.

Carribean: really like the roast pork (pernil) they do, particularly with onions and plantains.

Japanese: not a big sea food guy myself, but am very fond of yakiniku and (moving away from Japan) Korean BBQ.

Mr. W said...

I love anything grilled, and summer corn is always a favorite!

I didn't mean to leave BBQ off, Marty, just kinda ran out of time, and had already done one American food (Cajun). We will get to BBQ, though I'm not in your class, that's for sure -- but we have 2 excellent joints in town: Sticky Lips and Dinosaur.

So Pete, will you be bringing some homemade hummus to NBW? What?!?! You're not coming?!?!

Damn... :-(

Anonymous said...

Did you mean me? Is there room for two Peters here? Maybe I'll have to start signing as 'Halifax Pete' to remove the confusion. :) And no, I won't be at NBW this year, though I plan to try to have some fun in Quebec City.

As for the food:

1. Italian, love it, with tomato sauce, with pesto sauce, with a cream sauce, but not with seafood. I've lived within one mile of the ocean or the Great Lakes my entire life and still don't like seafood very much;

2. Thai, love it, love it, love it. We've got at least a couple very good Thai restaurants here. I like green curry dishes in particular, nice and spicy;

3. Indian, see comments on Thai;

4. Cajun, never really had it, though I imagine if I go to an Acadian restaurant around here I might get something similar;

5/6. Spanish/French, nothing I really like comes to mind at the moment;

7. Caribbean, never had it;

8. Japanese, don't care for sushi.

Favourites of mine that aren't listed include Greek (fantastic Greek restaurants here), Middle Eastern (learned to love their cooking when I was there. A huge buffet served at sunset in Wadi Rum is a particularly good memory), and Chinese. We don't bother with the standard 'Canadian Chinese' stuff. We mostly order Szechuan from a fantastic hole-in-the-wall restaurant just a few blocks away. Excellent!

Unknown said...

NBW is unfortunately not on the radar, though I may make Prezcon this year...

Anonymous said...

Christmas Day in NYC. My family goes to my cousin's house for dinner. It turns out her kids were sick two days before, byt they stopped throwing up Christmas Eve. One cousin cacles becuase sh'e pregnant. Another bials becuase one of her kids is facing an operation early the following week. Are the Steins scared? Hell no.

We get there and find out my cousin's husband made Lasagna. SCORE! Real lasagna with Ricotta and Mozzarella cheese, sauce and sausage. After we polish off dinner, it turns out he made THREE treys and we only ate one. Want to take one home? My mother "No we don't need it." My nephew and I "What are you crazy, of course we're taking it!!!" So Lasgna three nights in a row. Yummmmmm. . . .

Anonymous said...

Rob,

repeating the ?'s

How was Christmas Eve dinner when you were young ?

Meatless Italian ?

Mr. W said...

Pesto is probably my 2nd favorite way to have pasta...

Not a big lasagna fan, but I'm glad Pete got a pan for himself :-)

We weren't Catholic, John, so the whole meat/meatless thing never played in my house. One of the only good thing my Grandmother left us was her Northern Italian protestant heritage. Of course, I personally don't believe any of that made-up shit, but that's another story...

Anonymous said...

OK :)

I had 3 favorites from that meal

the spaghetti with anchovies, garlic & Olive oil

stuffed peppers with acnchovies, black olives, garlic & bread

potatoe pancakes (I used maple syrup) others used salt)

tried the fried eels ONCE :(

Mr. W said...

Eels be good, John!

Unknown said...

I love eels in black been sauce, killed and cooked fresh in the Chinese restaurants on Spadina here....

I agree with all your choices, Rob: I'm all for spicy and for seafood. My cooking is predominantly Indian food (best cookbooks: Madhur Jaffreys) -- I do a lot of vegetarian stuff as my wife and one son are veggie and there's no other cuisine I find as versatile and delicious for vegetarian cooking as Indian. I used to cook a lot of Chinese food as well and still do some Chinese and other far eastern cooking.

Pickles are big in my house: I make lots of pickles, chutneys and salsas....they add a lot to meals, especially when, after a long day of work and an evening of children beckoning, I don't have energy for a full meal. Make a pot of rice and veggies, with a range of pickles to spice it up at the table and yum.

One of the absolute yummiest things in the world is a Syrian-Indian pickled meat that I got from a Jaffreys cookbook....it's pork too! Amazing: make some rice, eat the pork like a chutney on top....

Robin

Unknown said...

Of course, I meant beans, not beens, and nobody killed the beens fresh, just the eels!

Anonymous said...

Nope,

tried the eels, not for me

more for my father & grandfather :)

nearly hurled across the table....

My guess is it was more psychological than taste but why ruin everyones meal ?

Mr. W said...

I have one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks, Robin, and she's good!

Mango Chutney is my favorite -- I used to work with an Indian lady who who would give me a homemade jar about once a month. :-)

Mr. W said...

I don't care too much for eel sushi, I admit...

Anonymous said...

My wife loves the sweeter chutneys as well, I make a beat and cardamom one for her and a sweet and sour tomato chutney....I'm more for hot and sour: lime chutneys, etc. I have two lime pickles 'brewing' right now, along with a cauliflower and radish one....

Robin

Anonymous said...

Hu I like pasta and pizza... Hu
It's my favorite food Hu...
And basically I'm like you, I like all the stuff with a lot of sugar inside and a lot of sauce inside like Thai food!!! LOL... Hu... You're right there is no need to appreciate really really delicate food as far as it's big, pasta or sugary... Hu

But still I'm impressed that you know how a Bouillabaisse looks like ;)

Bises

sonia said...

ur blog is good but remove dog picture from front.ur dog is very cute bt it looks so ugliest on start of blog.so remove