Thursday, January 29, 2009

Winter Doldrums...

Yes, I know, slacker is my middle name... It seems that whenever I have time on the computer I end up playing poker (and not posting here!). I finished 4th in a 180 person tourney a couple nights ago, then promptly pissed away twice the prize money I won with an all in call of A/A. The lucky bastard I was up against went all in with 5/6 (idiot...) and hit both a 5 and a 6 on the flop, and another 6 on the river, winning with a full house, 6s over 5s. Unbelievable. I knew the guy was bluffing, as he'd done this several times (all in) and showed his cards (he was betting it all with hands like 2/10). He made the decision much too quickly, as well, so even without seeing his eyes, I knew I had him. A/A losing to 5/6. Unbelievable -- I hate making the right call and getting unlucky, but that's part of the game. Making the right call will still win most of the hands, but it hurts to lose a big one to an idiot.

My life has pretty much been reduced to:

Sleeping
Working
Hanging out with Cheyenne
Playing Games
Watching Syracuse B-ball and Sabres Hockey
Driving around and listening to books on CD

I measure time using milestones like breaks, when I can spend more time with Cheyenne and get more gaming in. Next milestone is the Niagara Boardgaming Weekend, which will start next Wednesday after school and run through Sunday. It will be a nice change in the daily drudge. Two weeks after this, we'll have February break. I only wish Cheyenne would listen to me better when off leash, as I'd love to take her cross-country skiing, but I can't right now (she'd get in trouble). She's such a cool dog, but her stubbornness limits her horizons.

As for gaming, I really should set up some games like Unhappy King Charles and run through the rules, but I have no energy to do that, so I pretty much stick to games I know (and will do so throughout Niagara. Hell, I'm even second-guessing running a Combat Commander tourney there, as it feels like too much work.



Gotta snap out of it...

Above is book I'm currently listening to on CD. Up next (it's probably been 30+ years since I read it) is:

6 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

Sounds like you need a sun-light lamp. I suspect I do to. I just shut down in the winter.

Mr. W said...

I actually love the winter, just a lot of crap going on, so I'm feeling sorry for myself...

Anonymous said...

I think I slogged through LotF in HS.............

technically a good book, I didn't enjoy it that much

Anonymous said...

LotF is an excellent book. There is an interesting contrast between the innocence of the kids, and the frightening "adult" base instincts that they succumb to.

My favorite is the scene involving the masks, and the scene where they're trying to construct a fortress.

I always enjoyed teaching this book to 9th graders.

Steve Williams

Mr. BACSIM said...

From the crap grows beautiful flowers!


And grubs....

Anonymous said...

I can teach you UKC if you want (though I do have two other games of it scheduled during NBW), so you don't have to read all the rules....

Sorry you're having a crappy time of it, Rob.

Robin