Friday, January 23, 2009

Niagara is Approaching...

With less than 2 weeks to go until Niagara Boardgaming Weekend begins, I'm getting kind of antsy. It's a real fun mid-winter break, with 4 straight days of gaming. 9 more school days, then I'm there...

Getting geared up for Niagara, I played Hannibal with Mike Cardwell last night. Mike has really been enjoying the game, which is good, for I'm trying to wean him from hexes and games without cards! This was a great game (I was Carthage). Hannibal entered Italy on the 2nd turn, and took 2 northern Provinces. With the help of Diplomacy, and the Macedonian Alliance, I sailed Mago to Sardinia and secured that island. Rome was concentrating on building up its forces and suppressing the pro-Carthaginian tribe in southern Italy. By mid-game, Hannibal had built a decent force in northern Italy, and I went defensive -- thinking that if Rome came after Hannibal I'd send Mago to Sicily or send Hannibal south if mago was getting harassed. What I didn't count on was Rome playing a Major Campaign and sending three armies against Hannibal. Ouch! Once the dust settled, Hannibal was down to 1 CU, and nestled in Gallia Cisalpinia, his back against the Alps. Mike had a chance to finish Hannibal off (assuming I flubbed the avoid battle roll), but left him alone, instead choosing to bring spaces in northern Italy back under the Roman yoke. This gave Hannibal the "out" he needed, as he fled westward over the Alps. Over the next turn, Hannibal went back to New Carthage and emerged with another large army...

Hannibal Barca

While Hannibal was recruiting his new force (though no elephants), Rome was clearing out northern Italy of Carthaginian sympathizers. Hannibal then headed back and crossed the Alps with a full 10 CU force before Rome was ready to deal with him again. This time, he wasn't fooling around -- 2 battles in Gallia Cisalpinia completely routed 2 Roman armies (17 CUs lost!) and the northern Italians welcomed the Carthaginians back. Even Syracuse, in Sicily, decided to ally with the now strong (again) Hannibal. Game ended with Carthage winning the province count 11-6 (Celtiberia being neutral). It was a much closer game, falling apart for Rome only at the end (after those 17 CUs disappeared). I must say, I really love this game.

Ah, gaming...

Bob Titran is coming by tomorrow for some Combat Commander. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll comment as no one else want's to

comment

have fun in Niagra Rob

Mr. W said...

NiagAra!

Can't wait, John! :-)

Anonymous said...

never could spell