Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back to the Salt Mines...

Rather an unexciting weekend, though the Sabres won (twice!) and I got some solo plays in of Hold the Line. Most of the weekend I was growing more and more concerned with the growing lump on Cheyenne's head. It got to the size of a golf ball, and was quite worrisome. Gypsy, my "dog of a lifetime," died last year from effin' lumps -- mast cell tumors. So, seeing something like this grow on Cheyenne wasn't good for me.

Went to the vet's Monday morning, and she'd noticed it had grown since Friday -- not good. Decided to aspirate with a needle to check what was going on inside there via a biopsy. So she took a reluctant Cheyenne into the treatment room, and came back about 5 minutes later with...

...NO LUMP! Evidently, Cheyenne must have really whacked her head, as this was a huge hematoma. But it didn't even hurt her! Anyway, it collapsed when blood was drawn, and I got a call later in the day that all the vet found was "stagnant" red blood cells and a few white cells, all what one would normally find in a 5 day old bruise.

Whew...

A huge relief, I don't think I could have gone through all that crap again, especially with a seemingly healthy, happy, young dog.

In other news, the Sabres are 2-0, beating Montreal in a shootout Friday night and then crushing the Islanders on Long Island, 7-1 yesterday. I will be going to the Vancouver game this coming Friday, looking forward to it. I think this team has the skill and attitude needed to win in the NHL, and last year might have been the kick in the butt they needed to just get going. Let us hope...


In between bouts of moving, boxing, and cleaning up my "new" gameroom, I had Hold the Line out. I played one game of Hobkirk's Hill (American victory) and two games of Eutaw Springs (both British victories). Of course, solo play is, at best, something to do to relieve boredom (or take one's mind off dog issues), and this game definitely suffers when there aren't 2 playing -- plans take a while to unfold, ad it's very hard to be the attacker when the defender (also you!) knows exactly where the main attack is headed! But fun, all the same, as the game's quick and easy.

Class for "hematoma-less" Cheyenne tonight. I need a nap...

4 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

You do realize of course that the dog repeatedly whacked her head against something just to give you grief...

Anonymous said...

they are smart like that

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was just a bruise.

Mr. W said...

The vet told me that, while growing up, her father had a lab that would wag its tail in the garage, starting tools swinging -- the end result was that the lab got knocked on the head by a sledge hammer, and acted like nothing happened.

Labs = hard heads!