Thursday, October 16, 2008

Busy Week...

Man, but it's been non-stop this week! A lot going on at school and continual packing/moving at the homestead -- seems like I haven't had a chance to catch my breath. And Deanna and I have had no time to ourselves, and we need some...

Life really zooms on, sometimes.

Man...

So, I'm thinking I deserve a nap this afternoon. Just a little one, but I've really gotta get "rejuvenated!" A bunch of grading to get to this evening, then over to Mike's to watch a little Third World War and find out why Bill's been avoiding me -- LOL!

Last night, before I went to bed, I decided to order Conflict of Heroes. Now, I'm not much of a tactical guy, and WWII ain't my era. Add to this equation that I already own and love Combat Commander, and one needs to wonder why I did this. I guess I'm both a sucker for a good game, and an addict, to boot.

D'oh!

I'm trying to resist buying Clash of Monarchs, a game I'm pretty sure will be much too "gritty" for me, but my resolve is weakening. Why does this always happen to me?!?!

Oh well, one can never have too many games. Until one has to begin packing them away.

D'oh again!

Finally, I need to vent about Consimworld. That place is really turning into a cesspool. All the wackos, left and right, are getting real nasty, making the place a "my candidate rocks, yours sucks" bulletin board. Guys, we're supposed to be chatting about games, there. Man, I have no patience to most of these buttloads...

OK, enough of that. Off to lalaland for a bit, then one more day of school after which non-stop fun (which I need) begins -- Sabres, then gameday.

Yee-haw!

9 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

What, no discussion about how awesome the Sabres look this season?

Which CSW forums are bugging you? Most (though not all) of the ones I'm following are primarily about the games. Of course, I break out new rules when they veer off course. :-)

Anonymous said...

Consimworld. That place is really turning into a cesspool.

Good thing you don't comment ;)

Anonymous said...

Rob, if you're looking for a very involved game with a lot of depth but, at the same time, manages to be very playable (in my opinion, anyway), then Clash of Monarchs is an excellent purchase.

However, I know you hate heavily-procedural games (right?) and CoM is that to a tee. If that is an absolute "no-buy" mark for you, then you may want to pass on it.

That being said, either way you go, I strongly suggest picking on one of the guys around you that has a copy (Jeff Heidman, Jeff Burdett?) and borrowing/fiddling with it before plunking down the coin. Either that or join an ongoing Vassal game--or play me in one, since I'm more than happy to have new Vassal opponents.

As for the political stuff, well...just stay away from the blogs and you'll be okay. :P

Mr. W said...

Sabres are looking great -- off to the game tonight!

As for CSW, I try not to comment when I see the nasty political stuff. Mostly in blogs, as the game folders have become very lame over the past year or so.

As for CoM, I have downloaded the rules and will look them over. I do dislike procedural-heavy games -- I just want to play the situation, not each "phase." So we shall see...

Msample said...

I am playing CoM this weekend, resuming a game we started two weeks ago . We should come close to finishing it . I did not prepub it, but have earmarked it for the inevitable GMT December half off sale .....

Mr. BACSIM said...

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about it for the 1/2 off sale too. I *know* that I will be getting Asia Engulfed at the sale.

Controversy and blogs are synonymous. At least they're keeping that stuff off the forums.

Any "good" blogs over there?

Mr. W said...

Marty, let us know how it goes.

Blogs are about all that's worthwhile on CSW, me thinks!

Richard Simon said...

If you're thinking about CoM, try downloading the rules from the GMT website. That will tell you whether or not this game is for you. I was initially hot to trot for this game. Having gone through the rules, I am becoming less so. I suspect that this is one that you might want to play (someone else's copy) first.

As far as CSW, the nastiness is not confined to that forum. I belong to a "Social Site for Old Folks" and it is the same, there. Politics does that to people. For some people, if you have an "R" or "D" on your shirt, your team is always right, the other is always wrong, and anything you do to try and actually look at something objectively is seen as subversive.

Have patience. It will pass.

Mr. W said...

Yeah, it's definitely the politics that are getting peoples' dander up...

CoM is still intriguing to me, but that rulebook makes my brain freeze. Maybe I can try a game sometime...