Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday, Tuesday...

Great Sabres game Friday night -- a 5-2 victory. Afterward, Bob and I went out for wings, and then I drove home, quite pooped, but entirely worth it. I really enjoy the Sabres, and getting to hang with a friend for a night while watching them live makes it even more fun.


At Millennium, it turned into a Rob vs. Jeff Burdett day. We started with Twilight Struggle, a game I hadn't played for ages (and don't really like, due to the sharks and the card combos). Having been away for a year or more, though, I approached it with fresh eyes, and had fun. I was the Soviets, and Jeff's Americans had the lead (a small one -- 1 to 5 points) for most of the game. The last 2 turns did it for me, however, as Africa scored 20 VPs for me over that span, and I was able to pull out a 20+ point victory. Great fun. We then turned to For the People, another game I used to like, but have tired of (too gamey). I was the South, and decided that I wouldn't play a gamey game (no weird Lee-led invasions of Ohio, for instance). I had to leave 1/2 way through (minor emergency at the house), and my position was real good. No states had fallen, no resource centers had been destroyed, and I held Kentucky and West Virginia. I was up by about 20 in SW. Bill Peeck took over, and he says he was on his way to winning when they got kicked out at 9:45. Two nice games that have been wrecked by "gaminess." Too bad -- I guess I'll pull them out once every year or so and have some fun vs. "non-sharks."

Probably more gaming later this week, have to get things organized...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pal

I come here with a heavy heart. Unless things loosen up for me, we might have to put our fishing trip on hold for a while. One problem is you work during the week and I work on Weekends which really make it tough on us. The weather is starting to get nasty and it will be an endurance test out there. I'm just looking for a hole to make the trip or for you to come here for some Stream ( Creek ) steelhead fishing. Nov 10th is my first sign of freedom. That weekend ( 15th and 16th ) might be the first time for us if you cannot get off before that. This of course depends on the weather.

Cory

Mr. BACSIM said...

Don't you guys ice fish? :-)

Mr. BACSIM said...

So, I'm waiting to hear a riff on the splitting of the Amerks-Sabres relationship. I'm thinking that with the 'merks current start, it must be pretty painful in Rochester.

Mr. W said...

Cory, we'll do our best. Cold? What's that?!?!

Mr. W said...

Grant,

To be honest, I stopped caring about minor league teams about 25 years ago, so I couldn't even tell you how the Amerks are doing! It is unfortunate (for both parties) that the Amerks and Sabres split, but I think it was all the fault of the Amerks previous owner. Maybe, someday, the relationship will be back, who knows?

Mr. BACSIM said...

You live in Rochester and you don't care about the Amerks????

All of a sudden, the evidence for you being a Tory spy grows *much* stronger!

Anonymous said...

FTP has the unfortunate designation as being a fine game on its own merits, but a rather lousy simulation of the actual war.

I enjoy it for what it is. It's a shame there isn't a better strategic ACW game out.

Mr. W said...

I actually think the card game, Blue vs. Gray, is a wonderful simulation of the ACW. I need to break that out again...