Monday, November 10, 2008

Grading, Grading...

Spent a good portion of the weekend grading and getting grades into the electronic gradebook, as they're due by Wednesday. Most of my kids are doing well, but there are 3 that are falling through the cracks (and not just in my classes). Parents of these 3 kids have already canceled SEVEN parent-teacher conferences. Kinda hard to get through to a kid whose parent doesn't give a shit.

Not much gaming going on, though I received a nice (and cheap!) copy of Sicily: Race for Messina in the mail on Friday (from an eBarf win). I know, I know -- it has hexes. But it also has those neat strength chits that give excellent "fog of war," and this is something I can play with Mike Cardwell, as I need to throw him some WWII bones every once in a while. I have been interested in both the Sicilian/Italian campaigns in WWII lately, as well as the Spanish Civil War. 2 interesting theaters in what I find to be an otherwise boring war (certainly boring to game, especially Eastern Front dreck...).


American cargo ship carrying munitions hit off Gela, Sicily, July 1943

Cheyenne's cyst is still about the same. I just want the damn thing to go away. Soon.

I never got my birthday pedicure this year, so I'm thinking of bringing my crusty feet to a spa this week. Make those cute little high school drop-outs work for their money.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sicily's a great game. IMO, the chits make the game. Don and I had a go at it a couple years back and enjoyed it.

>Make those cute little high school drop-outs work for their money.

Go for the Brazilian, Rob. Make them REALLY wish they'd stayed in school. :)

Kwebec said...

Hey Rob !

Back from Carnage, got to play, a full game of Rock the MArne, and amongst other things FAB:The Bulge, Manifest Destiny.

I've got the Espana 1936 you recommended, cheap too. Since oneof my buddies couldn't make it (he called us twice!!!), it looks like you may be able to attend Niagara in Feb. It looks great since at the same time we'd made a pit stop for business in Toronto.

Good luck with the car cd player ;-). No snow up here yet !!


BTW, if you respong to that, I'm wondering how I can read it.

Mr. W said...

A Brazilian, hmmm...

;-)

Mr. W said...

Glad Carnage was fun, Marc!

And good news about Niagara :-)

Hope you like Espana, I think it's a real nice game (play without the naval stuff -- at least at first -- as the added complexity doesn't add much to the game).