Monday, November 17, 2008

Life Rolls On...

Got some fun gaming in on Saturday at the Rochester Gamers monthly meet. Played 2 games of Conflict of Heroes, 2 games of Hold the Line, and 2 games of Objective Tobruk (a North African game currently in playtest). Had fun, even though I lost more than I won...

The CoH games were both the learning scenario, a German sweep through lightly forested terrain to hunt down Soviet Partisans. This is a tough one for the Soviets, especially when the Pioneer unit (an SS "Tracker" unit) enters the fray. I enjoyed the game, and look forward to getting into the more "meaty" scenarios.

For HtL, we played Hobkirk's Hill and King's Mountain, both battles from the southern campaign. In Hobkirk's Hill, a methodical British advance pushed the Rebels back and gave them the victory. In King's Mountain, the Loyalists took a pounding from Rebel militia, as they retreated and tried to regroup. This game came right down to the end, and the side that killed the next unit would win. When a loyalist leader died, the game ended. Great fun, as always.

Objective Tobruk is a neat little "box-to-box" game Peter Bogdasarian is designing. It has a lot in common with Quebec 1759 (written orders), and shows off sweeping desert warfare, quite well. Each side won a game, so, as of now, the balance is perfect!

I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving break, just gotta get through these next 7 days. Things are dragging in my life right now, and I really need a break. I was looking forward to taking a nice trip with Deanna over February break, but it looks like that won't be possible, due to her daughter living with us (she doesn't trust her home alone for a week). Oh well, maybe I'll head somewhere by my lonesome, as I used to. All that's old is new again, or something like that...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

7 days? Ha-ha, I have 4 1/2. The elementary school is off all week Thanksgiving, , and since I have vacation days to burn (since we didn't take one this year), I'm taking all week off.

I'm foreseeing giving the kid candy, stick her in front of the TV, and lots of hexes and counters.

Msample said...

Didn't you just have a weeklong break and you're already whining for another one ? Grow up...

I started off really liking Conflict of Heroes, but the more we played, the more some of the gamey stuff started to bug me . It is one of the nicest physical presentations I have ever seen, and I am curious to see what the expansions add. For now, too many other games in the to play pile.

Anonymous said...

Halifax is nice in February.

Msample said...

Hey, how is the lump on Cheyenne's head doing ?

Mr. W said...

Cheyenne's lump seems to be getting a little smaller, but it's hard to tell.

Just hoping we can avoid surgery.

And as much as I hope to visit Halifax someday again (don't remember it really, as I was a kid when I was there), I think I'll wait for summer... ;-)

Mr. BACSIM said...

Hope Cheyenne gets better.

I've been out flat with a fever since Sunday. No fun at all. On the other hand, I've worked through the CC:E rules, and I'm looking at Storm over Arnhem tomorrow. Any rules violations in my favor will be blamed on the feverish state I was in when learning!

I'm in week 3 of this cold. Be nice if the antibiotics I gotMonday would start working.

Anonymous said...

cold = virus

antibiotics = lost money

hope you feel better soon

Anonymous said...

Hope you get over the cold.
As for antibiotics, they do not work on a cold. A cold is a Virus as stated earlier. It just has to work it's self out. All Doctors know this.

Cory

Mr. BACSIM said...

Yeah, but at week 3 it's likely gone to a sinus infection. Seems confirmed by the extended fever. I stalled going to the doc as long as I could, but it got ridiculous.

Haven't had anything kick my ass this bad in 10 years. Really triggering my asthma as well.

I think I've finally beaten the fever. I'll try going back to work tomorrow.

Mr. W said...

Man, Grant, that does not sound like fun.

You better be non-contagious by December 6th!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club Grant. I've been fighting the same thing for 10+ days. Fortunately my doctor caught it before my sinuses got infected and a steroid nasal spray seems to have cleared things up. But before I got that, the damn fever just kept on coming back every time I thought it was gone for good!

Mr. BACSIM said...

No promises, but this is day 4 of the antibiotics, so I should be.

I'm at work, pretending to work today. Mostly I'm just being racked by coughing fits. Very very annoying.

I've read through CC:E and I've skimmed Storm over Arnhem.