Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Red Poppy...

I am off work today, but I'll be working most of the day, nonetheless. I have to finish my grading and submit grades and comments for the 1st Quarter report cards. We (meaning Deanna and me) also have to clean out the garage, which is still full of leftovers and junk from our July garage sale and all the home repairs we've been undertaking. Ugh... But gotta do it, so we can get our vehicles sheltered before the snow comes.

Of course, the real meaning of today can't get lost in grades and cleaning. All the brave men and women who have risked, and in many cases given their lives, so that we may remain free. Thank you, all.



Before I forget, I want to mention that I finished Stephen King's Duma Key this morning. An excellent book. King has always, to me, been a great storyteller. Folks can debate his writing talents, but I don't think there's any debate about his storytelling abilities. So it struck me that Duma Key was very well written. As someone who has read most of his books over the years (for pure enjoyment), I can definitely see a trend lately, where he's matured as a writer, while not losing any of his storytelling magic. Duma Key is highly recommended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a Stephen King book in years. I think I was put off his books when he started to get too heavily into fantasy. Rose Madder might have been the one that put me off. It started out great with all the makings of a sinister situation set in the real world, then she walks into a parallel universe in a painting. I haven't read any of his books since.

Anonymous said...

Hello Pete

Fancy meeting you here.

Rob

I will not be driving this weekend up from Buffalo to Millennium. I'll have to let Tom D and Frank know. I'll be there but I'll be coming from the other direction
(Cortland, NY).

Cory

Mr. W said...

Check