Monday, November 24, 2008

Short Week...

Woo-hoo, about time we got this short week! I'm not overly excited about Thanksgiving, but I am about the 5 days off. It looks like I'll be playing Hannibal with Mike Cardwell and Combat Commander with Bob Titran over the break. Combat Commander is one of those games I don't think I'll ever tire of...

Being the nice guy I am, I suggested to Mike that we play Sicily: The Race for Messina as our next game, since it's WWII and hexes (2 of Mike's favorite things -- I will remain silent...). Besides, this game gets good ratings, and it's part of the "Victory in the West" system, with hidden unit strengths via chit draws. Mike thought I was suggesting a different Sicily game, the one by John "My Games Are No" Schletter, Sicily: the Italian Campaign. Luckily for us both, Mike stopped by last week to watch the game Bill Peeck and I were playing (written up a few posts ago under "Bessarabia"), and spotted my Sicily (or, should we say, the good Sicily!). He now needs to get a copy of this one off of eBay.

As for the Schletter "design," this comment on BGG says it all:

"Map is a 10 - one of the best I have ever seen. Everything else SUCKED - the rules are a disaster, the counters boring, gameplay almost non-existant [sic], even with revised (and re-revised) rulebook. I can't even remember how many hours I spent trying to get this turkey to fly. I even tried other systems, like OCS (exactly the same scale!) but in the end all the beautiful maps in the world couldn't get me to keep it so I gave it away. What a waste!"

Yuck!

Now that that's taken care of, I can rest easily...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Rob,, I'm reading your posts here and starting to get the feeling that your serious about this game of CC. I will start to read the rules and get this one done.
I bought it and was holding on to it and not reading the rules until I saw this is a game you really like and will hang in there with it long enough for me learn it so we can play it consistently at our meets.

I have gone over the Rules of Hannibal and finding more and more rules that Frank did not know. Like we should have been getting more cards as the turns advanced. A chance for a General to withdraw. etc.

Cory

Mr. W said...

Cory,

I believe one of your buds gave you Combat Commander as a present, no?

:-)

:-)

:-)

It's such a fun and varied game...

As for Hannibal, well, ya know ya can't trust Frank!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do remember that you gave me the game but I was also just making sure that you didn't give it to me because you were losing interest in the game.
Your a good bud ( friend ).

I Hear you about Frank ( funny : >) )

Cory

Anonymous said...

Cory,

Even if you DON'T beleive Rob....

CC is a great game and Rob is correct :)

---------

Rob,

I'm weakening on Hold the Line.

Is it a "light" game ?

Lighter than CC or C&C: Ancients or at their level ?

thanks

(An F'n 5 day weekend ?????)

slackers..............

Mr. W said...

Well, I don't actually think Combat Commander is "light." I think it simulates small unit warfare much better than the competition (for command & control is what it's all about).

Hold the Line is easier than C&C Ancients, and it works well at the tactical level -- without a lot of chrome, battles unfold realistically.

Anonymous said...

I think "light" as in rule retention. CC is "light" in that department (which is a compliment) because it's easy to get into and when you bother to learn the rules, it's easy to remember them. I find as I get older "light" is a very positive description of a wargame. "Heavy" and "Monster" are more derogatory for me! ;-)

Mr. BACSIM said...

Cory, why don't you play Kevin W or me in HRC instead of Frank. I think we have a much better grasp of the rules. I'd be willing to play a "discuss the strategy" game with ya at BACSIM or NBW.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Grant and I'd love to take your offer.
Frank was the only one that was asking me to play the game so took his offer. I do not mind playing Frank but if I do not know the rules that well or trying to learn the rules It's not good to play Frank because he has only a general Idea of the Rules.

Unknown said...

Cory, if you don't get the chance to play CC before GMT East, I hope you'll let me give you the introductory tour. I promise it will be great fun.

Anonymous said...

Ok John, I will take you up on it. Ther problem is I might not make GMT East this year because of work.

Actually Rob has run the game down to me and we played a game of it. I'm not sure who won. I think Rob ran out of time and that is the only way I might have won.

Cory