Saturday, August 23, 2008

Go for the Gold...

Had fun Thursday night -- 7 guys showed up at Greg's house, and after the obligatory "What will we play?" discussions, we broke off into 2 games. A 6-player Here I Stand broke out (tournament scenario), while Jeff Burdett and I played the "Lion of Winter" scenario from Warriors of God. It was a close game for a while, then my French got some lucky control rolls (while Jeff's English didn't) and the VPs started to add up. Jeff commenced an epic battle in Ile-de-France, but greater French numbers won over superior English leadership. It was a real bloodbath, however! When VPs got to 23 for the French on Turn 7, we decided to call it a game, and this let Jeff get home earlier than planned.

I was thinking of heading home myself, but I got roped into replacing the Ottoman player in the HIS game. His position was decent, and I got some more Piracy VP, as well as taking Tunis, so I was in the mix when we called it a game. France had invaded England and taken Bristol -- something you don't see much in this game.

Greg has a great downstairs gaming/home theater/kids' rec room set up. He's threatening to do this on a regular basis, and I hope he does! Next time, we'll decide on games in advance, and I think I will go with Espana 1936...

Tonight, I think I'll set my alarm for 2:30 AM to watch the basketball gold medal game between the US and Spain. I'm glad the punky team that played in Athens lost, but I'm really rooting for these guys -- they're not only the best athletes, but they are definitely a team. I expect them to beat Spain by about 30, but am actually hoping for a good game. And, as the saying goes, "on any given day..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well you got your good game

I also set my alarm for 0230

Anonymous said...

>I also set my alarm for 0230 <

Yes, but you have to wake up and watch the game also.

I didn't see the game. Who won ?.

Anonymous said...

The team with the wealthier players