Monday, August 11, 2008

WBC, Day 1...

I'm baaaack!

Drove down to Lancaster on Monday, August 4th, after dropping Cheyenne off at the doggie hotel. Very uneventful trip -- stopped in Williamsport, PA for lunch, got into Lancaster at around 3:30 PM and was able to check right in. My room, #577, was at the far corner of the hotel, so I figure I made up (some of) the exercise I was missing by not walking Cheyenne.

Got my stuff put away, then headed down to the open gaming areas. Saw the game Manoeuvre being demoed, and I watched for a while, since I planned to play in its tourney Tuesday morning. After the demo I got into a game with Brad (last name not known), taking the British vs. his French. It was back and forth for a while, then my Brits took control of the center of the battlefield and won the game by killing 5 French units. I had a lot of fun, and this got me looking forward to tomorrow's tourney.

A bit later I ran into Lembit Tohver of L2 games, and he was looking for a game of Warriors of God. I know Lembit from the Niagara Boardgaming Weekend, and he's a good guy, so I sat down to play. We choose the 100 Years' War Scenario, and I drew the French. The first few turns saw me take a small lead (around 5 or 6 VPs), but the proverbial shit hit the fan on Turn 4 when Lembit lost most of his leaders while all of mine survived. Then, on the next turn, we rolled high OPs points, and I was able to bump my VPs up to around 20, so Lembit conceded (and I don't blame him -- the board situation was looking grim for the English). A fun game, nonetheless.

Later on, I played some more Manoeuvre with Bill Place, from Pittsburgh. Bill is a regular at WBC, and we've voted him in as an honorary Western New Yorker. Anyway, my Turks were able to beat up on his Austrians, as those Turks have a lot of cavalry that can be deadly if you get them going. Another fun game.

Later that evening we were sitting around sipping beers, so we decided to play Pacific Typhoon. It was a 4-player game with me, Bill Place, Bill O'Neal, and Grant LaDue. As always with this group, it turns into a "screwfest," though I managed to survive and win the game with 36 points. The Bills had 32 (Place) and 26 (O'Neal), while Grant had 14. In this game I did play the atomic bomb card and I rolled a "6," which meant I lost the battle and took -3 VPs! LOL! My plane must have been shot down over Okinawa...

I had never been to a WBC before Tuesday, and it was nice getting some friendly games in early and being able to participate in the Tuesday morning tourneys.

Off to bed to with more to come for Tuesday...

No comments: