Sunday, August 3, 2008

On to Lancaster...

See y'all in Amish Country!

This will be the last post for a week or so, as I'm off to the WBC tomorrow morning. Deanna told me that she won't be posting, so y'all will have to wait for me to get back.

I thought about bringing my laptop, then reconsidered -- why would I want to be "connected" when part of the experience is just getting away from the daily bustle and playing games? Short answer is, "I don't want to be connected!"

You see, I love the latest technology as much as the next guy. More bells and whistles for me, please. But I also remember the time before cell phones, before laptops getting the Internet everywhere, and, frankly, that was a more peaceful time. People spoke to each other face-to-face more. There wasn't this big disconnect we have going on today. My 6th Grade students can spend 4 hours texting on their cell phones, yet they can't carry on a 2-minute conversation in person.

Over the years, this has struck me as very sad, and it's getting worse.

Getting online and typing is a chore -- one I enjoy doing here, as it's an outlet, too. But it's nice to get away from the 'Net for a while, nice to bury oneself in the catacombs of the Lancaster Host and hope there's no cell reception. Nice to go back to the days of being around, and communicating with, real people all day. Even if they are stinky wargamers!

See ya the week of August 11th, and yes, I will be full of WBC reports!

No comments: