Tuesday, August 12, 2008

WBC, Day 4...

Thursday's at WBC have traditionally been Command & Colors: Ancients day (well, at least for a couple of years, LOL!), but I decided to beg out of this tourney since it conflicted with two Galaxy heats and I really had to try to win one, being a good teammate and all... So, I got up, had my coffee, and headed to the "Lampeter" room for a game of Kaiser's Pirates.

I played this one last year, when it was first released, and scored the highest total in the preliminary rounds (over 100!), but ended up finishing 5th out of the the 6th finalists. I really wanted to have a better showing this time around. I ended up in a game with Mark Miklos and Don (?), and the way the tourney is set up the top 12 scorers advance to the semis. I won my table with 70 points, but wondered if that would be enough to make the semis. I will have to check on that throughout the next few days...

Galaxy heat 2 of 4 was up next. I got put at a table with my friend Marty Sample. It's always one of those good/bad things when at a tourney table with a friend -- you know the game will be fun, and you don't mind if your friend wins, but it's not always satisfying beating a bud. As it went, we had another 4-player game, and Marty and I tied, 12-12! The tiebreaker was point value of cards in hand. I had 30, Marty had 41. Oh well, another 2nd, but a good guy was definitely advancing, so that was OK...

I looked at my schedule and saw I could make the 2nd heat of Santa Fe Rails. I decided to play in this one, as the 3rd heat later that evening had a bunch of other games against it, so I wasn't sure I'd be able to play again. I was at a table with Duane (?), Paul (?), and Chris Palermo. It was a wide-open game, even though I bought 3 Branch Lines and never used them, trying to shorten the game! The final scores were in the high range, 183-176-166-158. I had never before (in 3 years!) won a heat of SFR. In this game, the 183 was my score, so I'd be advancing to the semis. Finally!

That evening, there was the 3rd of 4 Galaxy heats. My team game, and one I had yet to win. This time, we had a 5-player game. The final scores were 15-7-7-4-4. I had a "7," but finished 2nd based on card values. Mark Mitchell told me I was a definite for the semis, with three 2nds. Woo-hoo, I'm #2! Well, at least I could blow off the 4th heat and try some other games...

11:00 PM rolled around and I went to check out the Pro Golf tourney. Bruce Monnin runs it, and I hadn't played in a few years, so I decided to give it another shot. Now, this game is pretty much pure luck -- in both the golfer you get and in your rolls. Good golfers have better cards, and high rolls are good while low rolls aren't. I found a foursome with Dave Metzger, Jeremy Billones, and Robert (?). I drew Davis Love III, which, I think, was a pretty good draw. We played the Augusta National course (where the Masters is played), and it was tough, all of us having a few bogeys. Going into the 18th hole, Dave's Jay Haas was -5 while my Davis Love was -4. In one of those "shit happens" moments, Dave's rolling went south, and he scored a double bogey. I shot a par, and won our foursome, -4; -3; E; +3. An exciting finish, now I had to wait and see if -4 would make the cut for the 4 finalists. It held up for a while, but when a foursome came in with both a -8 and a -6, the two -4s on the board were bumped, very close to the end of the round. Oh well, I was close, and it was fun.

Some drinks at the bar with the "Western New York Drinking Club with a Gaming Problem," then off to bed. But up pretty late with no gaming...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked up C&C Ancients at Millenium Sunday, while my wife was bra shopping.

Then I put it down, it's a lot of money for something I may not enjoy.

I then found out where they keep the Panzer Grenadier supplements, and picked up Iron Curtain, the one with Pershings, commies with AK-47s and other early Cold War goodies. This I bought.

Mr. W said...

George is definitely the one of the Dark Lord's minions...

Listen, I'll be happy to play C&C: Ancients anytime -- and, like the unmentionable game you mentioned, there are (almost) unlimited scenarios.

Of course, the C&C scenarios are more balanced, and you can knock out a game in 30-45 minutes on the ones that aren't, switch sides, and play again, going for total banners...

Anonymous said...

Hey hey, was Space Invaders balanced? The Alamo?

I have been assured that the newer games in that series have more balanced scenarios. I can't confirm since I only play a small minority of them.

Mr. W said...

You do know Avalanche doesn't playtest, eh? Has that changed? I'd doubt it...