Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Cool Jazz...

The older I get, the more I appreciate Jazz. Happily, Rochester, of all places, has one of the nation's better Jazz Festivals -- The Rochester International Jazz Festival. There are always many fun "little" activities to go to, and several bigger headliners. This year, we'll be going to see Boz Scaggs, who, if you haven't listened to him in 2 decades, has a "jazzy twist" to all his music.

Here's a YouTube video of Lido Shuffle:



We might go to Frank Sinatra, Jr., not sure yet. Al Green is an outside possibility, though my line to tickets there most likely won't pan out. Regardless, it's a great time and something I always look forward to.

Not being a kid anymore, I feel out of place at many nightclubs. I have a couple of friends who are in bands, and we go to see them every once in a while. But man, do I feel old around all those 20-somethings! I much prefer a more mellow setting where I can sit back, sip a drink, and listen to jazz. If that's a sign of getting old, I don't rightly care, for this is one of the finer points of aging, better music.

Tonight Bill's coming over for another go-round with Thirty Years War. I think we have the rules down pretty well, it should be fun. Maybe I'll play some jazz tonight in the dungeon to inspire me.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have pretty much always loved jazz. It was always in my home growing up. My father was a jazz nut in the mid-to-late thirties and actually managed to get to know some of the jazz greats before he went off to WW2. He did this by using his first love - photography. He went into the jazz clubs and received permission from people such as Billie Holliday to take photographs because he did a number of things to his film to allow it to be used without flash. We always had "hot jazz" on the stereo system thanks to his love of jazz.

Anonymous said...

Jazz is definitely an enjoyable form of music. In Los Angeles we have the smooth jazz station that I listen to most of the week.

Mr. W said...

You guys know good music!

Richard Simon said...

Boz can do a lot of things well but I would very highly recommend the very first Boz LP (entitled, naturally enough, BOZ SCAGGS) and COME ON HOME, which is blue-eyed soul (Boz in Memphis); he does this, not because it will sell but because he likes it (a nd he is good at it).

Both are very highly recommended.

Anonymous said...

That was great! I haven't listened to Boz Scaggs in years. I'll have to go haul the vinyl out of the basement I guess.

Mr. W said...

I will have to dig out some of his earlier stuff, Rich, as I know it's in a box somewhere. I hope Pete finds his, too!

I can't wait for the concert -- a few friends at work have seen him recently and said it's an excellent show.