Sunday, June 1, 2008

Moving and gaming...


Deanna and I went to visit her new school yesterday, and its location will certainly influence where we live. It's a good half hour from where we currently live, so we'll have to head toward her school, as that's too long (I'm less than 5 minutes from my school).

If gas prices weren't so damn high, I'd have no problem with a 30 minute commute for me -- I love listening to books on tape, and a 3 minute commute isn't good for that. However, I don't want to be paying an extra $100/month on commuting. Of course, we can get a lot more house for the money (or the same house for considerably cheaper) out her way so all this will have to be taken into consideration.

As I'm thinking about what's important for me, and what I can give up to get something else, I suddenly think, "How will this affect Bill and Mike, my regular gaming buds?" Shows where my priorities lie, eh?

Clicking on above image shows where our schools are.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You surround yourself with various communities - it's natural and genuine to think about them.

Anonymous said...

about 20 miles between schools, correct ?

Mr. W said...

There are definite pros and cons to moving further out into the country...

20 miles sounds about right. No highway to where Deanna needs to go makes the commute time longer.

Anonymous said...

You have to figure in the commute time, you'll be going with all the going into the city, Deanna will have the reverse.

I love my reverse commute, 65 mph and 46 mpg are nice.

Mr. W said...

I hope that, at 6:30ish in the morning, I won't run into too much traffic. Around 7:45/8:00 AM seems to be the magic time for bad traffic.

Also, after many years in the DC area commuting 90 minutes to go 12 miles, I've never found Rochester traffic all that bad.

That being said, I think the early start of the Middle School day will actually be a Godsend here...

Ron said...

Well, according to the map, it looks like "Fairport" is halfway.

But you could also move to B.F.E. (Egypt). :-P

Mr. BACSIM said...

Ooh, now I've discovered comments! Bwahaha!

Rob, stay close to the big highways, so we can visit you from Buffalo easier! :-)

Mr. W said...

Fairport/Perinton or Victor seem doable.

All by the highway...

Anonymous said...

Is buying a house within walking distance of either school an option? If so, you can save a whack of money by owning one car as opposed to two. It means one person does all the commuting though.

If it were my decision to make I'd let the house drive the decision. Home is where I spend most of my time so I'd go for the house that's going to make me the happiest and put up with whatever commuting situation that leaves me with.

Mr. W said...

The house will definitely make the decision, though we'll be limited where we look. Fairport or Perinton would be excellent choices, for many reasons. One is Fairport Electric, which is a dirt cheap energy utility only folks in those two towns have access to.

As to only one car, I dunno. I need to escape with the dog a lot...

Cazart! said...

Well if you choose Fairport, you could get on a bike to work (some days) plan. Ties directly into your May 31 post...

Mr. W said...

That's not a bad idea, and if I didn't have to start so early...

But it is something to think about. I avoided doing it at the elementary school, since there was no shower, but I don't have that excuse at the middle school.