Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To Hex or not to Hex...


Most board wargames have a hex grid laid over them, regulating movement (and ranged combat). Almost all of the wargames I played for the first 5 or so years of my wargaming life were hex-based. Of course, there were notable exceptions, such as Diplomacy, Civilization, and Machiavelli, but, for the most part, hexes ruled the roost -- not to mention that many folks would debate whether these three games are actually "wargames."

But something inside me always disliked hexes.

I know, I know...  A hex grid allows all hexes on the map to be an equal distance away from the six hexes surrounding them, and those six an equal distance away, and so on.  One can't do that with squares, for moving horizontally or vertically from a square is not the same as moving diagonally.  Interestingly enough, some early wargames used offset squares which are, in essence, hexes!

But all spaces on a board shouldn't be as easy (or fast) to move to as all other spaces -- for instance, sitting here in my study (we'll pretend it's a big hex), the "hex" containing the garage is directly to my east.  Yet the garage hex is harder to reach than the living room hex (which is a couple hexes away), for it's separated from my study by a solid wall.  So, with hexes, wargame designers had to come up with "terrain effect charts," to regulate movement (and combat, but that's a story for a different day).  Some hexes would cost more to enter, and some hexsides (such as between my study and garage) would be impassable.  

But, something inside me has always said, "This doesn't feel right."

So, what's a wargame designer to do?  The answers have been to move to areas or "points."  Both have advantages over hexes, imo, at least in battle or strategic level games (not sure about tactical level, as hexes actually seem to work at low levels).  

Breaking the game board up into areas allows the designer to show some areas as larger (easier to move through, clear terrain, etc.) and others as smaller (harder to move through, denser terrain, etc.),  allowing more accurate movement without chart look-up for "terrain effects."  Boundaries are more easily highlighted as "impassable," or "harder to move through," than would be tiny little hex sides (and as the years progress and my eyes get older, I welcome anything that makes playing games easier!).  Finally, combat effects can be printed right on the board, in the area.  Here, movement is "channeled" in a more realistic way as players will be figuring out which approaches offer the best cover and will let one get there the "firstest with the mostest" -- players will not spend time counting hexes and movement points, they'll actually be thinking (more) like a general and less like a problem solver.  

A big step in area games came when Storm Over Arnhem (SOA) hit the shelves (and come to think of it, this is fairly tactical, though it is a mix of tactical and operational, I think).  Finally, a game where city blocks, bridges, fields, and rivers weren't made to slavishly conform to a hex grid.  One felt like they were playing the situation, not counting hexes.  In the years since SOA, many more games with areas as the movement/combat overlay have come into being, and I generally enjoy playing them.

Like areas, points connected by transportation lines have been another way to overcome "Hex Grid Hell."  In point-to-point games, strategic areas are connected to one another and military units can only travel along designated routes (so the designer gets to, in effect, design his own "terrain effects" right into the map).  Because the movement routes are often restrictive, point-to-point games generally work best for strategic level games where main routes of advance can be shown -- for these are what armies use, on a strategic level -- the roads and waterways that played a part in the campaign or war being simulated.  Some roads can be made easier to travel upon (pikes vs. dirt tracks), and some rivers may be better than others (or one side may be better able to utilize river movement, an example being the Union in the Civil War game For the People).  A designer can elegantly add "movement rules" that conform to the movement of troops -- no more veering off the transportation network for months at a time, as we often see in hex-based games.

One of my first encounters with a point-to-point game was with War of 1812 (1812).  I have always enjoyed this game.  Strategic points in Upper Canada, New York, and along Lakes Erie, Ontario, and Champlain are where units move to and from.  Battles happen in places they historically did, for not every inch on the map is accessible.  1812 channels the action nicely, giving a very good feel to this theater of the war.  As with areas, I get the feeling I'm leading a military campaign, not solving a hex-based puzzle.

So, for me, areas, or point-to-point are the ways to go.  While there are several hex-based games I really enjoy, such as Combat Commander, Command & Colors:Ancients, and Totensonntag, they all have other attributes that make their hexes more palatable, such as cards and/or random impulses for movement (which are subjects for another day!).

I understand this hasn't been an exhaustive thesis on "terrain overlay projections for wargames," but it wasn't meant to be.  Instead, just a way of telling y'all what I like, and (quickly) why.  I know that if I ever get some of my design ideas off the ground, you'll be seeing point-to-point or areas, not a steenkin' hex anywhere.

Except maybe in a beehive...

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Point to Point maps

Normally I don't like the look of 'point-to-point' maps. Sometimes the circles and lines completely overwhelm the terrain/graphics on the map, and other times it looks like I'm playing go.

I thought 1812 did an incredible job of blending the point-to-point with the map; that's one of the few I actually like.

I like the 'area' maps very much. War of the Ring is one of the better examples of how to do that right.

I forgot... how many beers to you owe me?

Mr. W said...

To me, point-to-point maps show, at a glance, what I can and can't do -- where the main areas of advance will be.

The one point-to-point map I had trouble understanding was in Barbarossa to Berlin. I feel there were too many "points," overwhelming the board, and many "non intuitive" connections.

I think, as far as beer goes, we're up to a pint and a half...

;-)

Mr. BACSIM said...

Of course, a hex map is just a point to point map with a uniform distribution of points and connections.

As Rob says, it's highly dependent on what you're trying to represent and hows it done. A too restrictive point to point setup could be stifling.

Just to be the devil's advocate, I'm not sure that the Wilderness War map is really much different than a hex map with restrictive terrain (for instance). I'm sure you could overlay a hex grid, twiddle the terrain a small amount, and end up with the same result.

All that said, I do like the point to point maps for the visual look. Still, there are games where I couldn't imagine them working without the hex grid.

Mr. W said...

A "hexy" WIlderness War would have been an ugly site -- to many "do not cross" hexsides.

Areas would have worked, but wouldn't have given the right "channeling" feeling...

Mr. BACSIM said...

Oh I dunno. An awful lot of the spaces have 5 or 6 connects. Toss in a few "unenterable hexes" and a few impassable hexsides and it would probably work reasonably well. I agree that it might not look as pretty though.

I think that one of the best arguments for point to point "area" movement is that the size of the areas can be more flexible. A physically small important area can have the same "board size" as a large but easily passable zone. Hex maps can't easily represent that kind of "strategic weight" as well. Not every game needs that though.

Mr. W said...

The wilderness has a lot of connections (as there weren't roads through it!) -- while Wilderness War may be less restrictive than many point-to-point games, there are certain "funneling" areas on the board, as was intended.

Mr. BACSIM said...

I do think that p-t-p maps need to be careful about over simplifying though. I can be annoying if only the places of importance are included and strategic options (even poor ones) are removed. WW does a good job with this, which is why it *could* be converted to hexes (but shouldn't be :-) ). Bottleneck the places where it's appropriate and leave in the connections elsewhere.

God, designing a game map has got to be a pain in the butt either way.

Anonymous said...

Your dog has big, shiny, white teeth.


*point for thread derailment*

Jason Schmidt said...

You hit upon something that's really been on my mind re: wargames lately; the Hex-Based Puzzle Phenomenon. Far too many games become an exercise in manipulating positions in hexes, maximizing factors, and gaming the rules rather than the situation. This seems less of a problem in PtP games, though many of those devolve into deck-management and card-combo fests (Twilight Struggle, I'm looking at you!)

Mr. BACSIM said...

I think every game shares that problem to one extent or another. Just spend some time with the correct "game" strategy for POG and compare it with the actual strategy of the war. Even Wilderness War has that problem if the tourny scenario goes full length. The two sides spend 2 years making sure they get back to winter quarters and then just completely ignore it in the last turn.

The board edge problem has always bugged me in board games (and mini's games). If your game is part of much larger area of the war, then those board edges should not be safe when they're taken. Bulge games (and various WWII Russian front games) have this problem quite often.

Anonymous said...

We (George F. and I) were discussing the carding-combo fest in some recent games (Twilight Struggle, WtP, HotS). The problem is not so much the card system itself but instead that certain combinations can be killers and game-enders.

Games using cards have to ferret out these anomalies and either tone down some of the cards, or have good 'counter-cards' (that must somehow be available) or have cards with multiple options.

In my opinion, WtP is broke because some card combos are damn near forced wins. Twilight struggles (heh) a bit because once you 'know' the cards, you more or less 'know' the game. The game is too much about cards (or certain cards).

I like CDGs; I just think the card types and play need to be addressed a bit harder in the development phase.

Mr. BACSIM said...

TS is pretty fair broken in my opinion. Seems *really* prone to runaways. I'm coming to think that the victory point levels are too small for the scale of bad luck you can catch. Probably should be something like +/- 30 points in early war, 25 in mid-war, and 20 in late war. Control of Europe should only be an auto-win in mid/late war and England should count for Europe control.

Anonymous said...

Fascist.

Charles Vasey said...

Oh, do beehive!

Mr. W said...

Yes, Cheyenne has big, shiny white teeth!

I'm with Jason that too many hex games have the "perfect placement in hexes" puzzle rather than the "which city/strategic point do I defend."

I'm also with him on too many CDGS being card management/let's not play this card now, as we have to wait for cards 17 and 41 to come out first. But I think a good CDG won't have this problem (I dont want to say it, but WW fits here!).

Mr. W said...

Grant is right about the "end of the game" syndrome. It happens in all games -- and, frankly, I don't know what the best solution is. Certainly, WW suffers on the last turn.

In hindsight, perhaps the last turn of the AM scenario should be 7 instead of 9 cards -- the last 2 plays assuming return to winter quarters.

But this (and card combos) is a different animal to argue!

Mr. W said...

And we will get to card combos one of these days.

I did love Twilight Struggle when it first came out, but I'm not interested in it enough to play to "shark" level (knowing all the card orders I must adhere to), and I've seen a good percentage of games (20%? 25%?) ruined by one player's great hand and another's poor hand.

In my opinion, 1960 improved on TS in every way.

Mr. W said...

Beehive Fascist indeed!

(Look, Ma, we actually got good game chatter going!)

Anonymous said...

Everyone has their point of view about how wargames should look, and Rob shouldn't be ashamed that his is wrong. :) (just kidding)

You made the point that point-to-point and area games channel lines of approach more realistically. However, I find that this chanelling reduces my options when I come across a difficult obstacle. If the nut is too hard to crack I like to try going around it, just to see what might happen.

That being said, I play games with the aim of it being a game, and therefore fun. If I take a path of advance that no general in his right mind would have taken in the real conflict, it's because he and I are fighting the war for different reasons.

So a vote for the beehive. Let me roam about the map freely without the artificial constraint of sticks and circles! :)

Mr. W said...

I agree games should be fun -- that's why I tend to not really enjoy the hex-based igo/hugo games as much, as they often lead to analysis paralysis.

I think that a good point-to-point game, or area game, will give you many different options of advance -- just because they're historical doesn't mean there aren't choices!

I think Wilderness War is a good example here -- you have 4 main areas of advance:

1. Ohio Forks - Niagara
2. Oneida/Oswego - Niagara
3. Champlain/Hudson Valley to Montreal
4. Louisbourg - Quebec

A good British player will at least be in position to advance on all these axes, and there are different paths to take on all of them.

For area games, I think Breakout:Normandy does a good job of showing chokepoints while, at the same time, allowing for areas of advance that bypass the chokepoints -- something the German player has to be acutely aware of!

Again, I think the hex grain OFTEN (not always), presents more of a puzzle as opposed to a historical view of army movements. I just like looking at the big picture, not the tiny puzzle!

Mr. BACSIM said...

Well, it would seem that the answer to the "end of game" situation would be to take into account the board status at the end. For instance, both sides in WW should take a hit for not having their forces in winter quarters. You could also have points given for force ratio's (or raw numbers), to reduce the "game is over, who cares if we kill these troops" effect.

I know these things are harder to implement, but still it would be nice to see game designers take a shot at it.

Variable game ending times are useful for this. If you don't know it's going to be another turn (like the commanders), you don't toss it all to the wind as much.