Saturday, June 21, 2008

Monthly Meet at Millennium...


Had a great day playing games. I hate to be lazy (again), but it was another long day, so I think more detailed reporting will have to wait.

I bought the Ticket to Ride card game, but never played -- it looks interesting, so I hope to get to play it soon. I understand some folks are disappointed in it because it isn't Ticket to Ride, the board game, but I shan't be making any comparisons.

I first played We the People with Frank Mestrve. Frank bid 3 and took the Americans. He beat me, 9 colonies to 4 in 1780. I could whine about cards and battles, but I won't...

Frank and I then moved to Hannibal. Frank took Carthage and resigned right before Scipio Africanus was a bout to come in. He hadn't penetrated Italy, and Varro had taken most of Africa for the Romans.

Switched over to a 5-player Santa Fe Rails. I thought I had the game won, so I refused to buy a branch line and the game ended early, with everything dead-ended. Unfortunatley, Mark Gartland put down an L.A. worth 14 points while I put down a Portland worth 7 points. Mark won with 84 points, I was second with 82. Miscalculation!

Agreed to play Struggle of Empires even though I hadn't read the rules (I always like to read rules first!). Ending up being in a dominant position in Europe (the Hell with the rest of the world!), and pulled off the victory by 5 or 6 VPs. A really nice game I will be hoping to play more.

Ah, now time to relax...

4 comments:

Cazart! said...

I really enjoy Struggle of Empires. It certainly is a more the merrier kind of game. I enjoyed the alliance bidding system that kicks off each war period.

Several games were played at the first BrogFest I went to.

Mr. W said...

It is certainly one I hope to play again soon, Mike. Now that I know a bit about what I'm doing, I may even be dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Ticket to Ride, the card game. It makes about as much sense as coming out with Can't Stop, the dice game. . . .

Mr. W said...

Of course, until WBC tells me otherwise, Can't Stop is, officially, the best game on the planet. Only the most skillful player can walk away with WBC wood...

;-)