Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Medieval Science...

Over the next few days, I need to put together a Powerpoint presentation on Medieval Science.  I've gotten a lot of good ideas from my buds online, and it looks like we're going with:

Biology -- no knowledge of germs, typical life expectancy, "Humours," and the Church's stand against human dissection.

Chemistry -- alchemy and ink-making.

Engineering -- arch (yes, I know this is Roman, but we'll be taking it to Cathedrals along with flying buttresses) and corbelled bridges.

Need to make an interesting presentation, then the kids will go to centers and experiment.  I haven't used Powerpoint all year, as all my "good stuff" has gone directly to the Smartboard.  I've been really spoiled, here!  Now it'll be like taking a step backwards going to a Powerpoint presentation.  Alas, we'll be setting up in Science classroom without a Smartboard, so I don't have a choice...

On Wednesday, Bill will be coming over to finish up our Thirty Years War game.  Looking forward to that.

Otherwise, just gotta get through this hot, hot day, as I'm pretty beat.  Wish I had the time and energy to write more, but I don't, so this entry will need to be short.

8 comments:

Msample said...

Yeah, enough of this heat already . Supposed to be cooler the rest of the week .

Been curious about 30YW . Let me know if you think it's worth picking up again . What rules are you using ? Straight living rules, or optionals ?

Mr. W said...

This heat is a horrible, but at least the a/c at school worked better today. My friend Bob Titran told me his school doesn't have a/c, and I just found out Deanna's new school doesn't either. I guess I'll stop whining, knowing that!

We've been having fun with 30YW. Neither of us are looking to "break" the game or anything, so maybe we've overlooked an obvious problem, but we're just marching on, devastating areas of Germany. A different feel than one would expect -- less like Wilderness War or Hannibal in that there are no interceptions/avoids and less like Paths of Glory in that there are no real "front lines." So it's very fluid, with a lot of "stabs" into enemy territory.

So far, fun.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday here it was 29C, about 84F. Today I damn near froze riding my bike to work in the morning, was cold riding home, and actually had to turn the heat on in the car when I drove my son to soccer. At the soccer game there were plenty of parents in the stands wearing hats and gloves. I didn't have to go that far, but had on a t-shirt, plus rugby shirt, plus light jacket. Only in NS can you have a 20 degree celsius temperature drop in 12 hours.

Mr. W said...

Sounds like living in a desert!

Things get more back to normal tomorrow, then the heat returns (but not quite so bad).

Really, if I wanted heat and humidity like this I'd like in Ocracoke...

Anonymous said...

I've always thought that one reason why people trashed 30YW was because they really didn't know what went on in that war. It started off as Catholics vs Protestants and by the end the Catholic French were helping the Lutheran Swedes.

Mr. W said...

Who is this mystery person?!?!

Frankly, there's a lot of history with the 30YW I don't really know. This game has piqued my interest, that's for sure.

Only wish my "to read" pile wasn't looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Ron said...

Well I've got my POD unloaded at home, and will have to check to see if I still own 30YW. I do think I might have sold the sucker though.

Hate when I sell a game, and THEN my friends start digging it and giving it a shot! :-P

Mr. W said...

I know, ain't I evil? :-)

If I hadn't won Pete B's hockey pool, I'd be playing something else...