Sunday, July 13, 2008

Another Long Day...

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday, my apologies.

Between the garage sale, house/yard work, and Cheyenne training, I didn't have time to catch my breath. It seems to never end.

Anyway, on the gaming front, as I mentioned the other day, I will be headed to Grand Island tomorrow to play some Warriors of God (WofG) and Command & Colors:Ancients (C&C:A) with Bob Titran. WofG is one of those annoying games in that it's simple, yet there have been a ton (literally, I measured!) of questions on BGG and CSW. Yet neither the developer nor the rules editor have taken any time putting together a FAQ/Errata/Clarification file for the game. The best one can find is a link to 3 errata/clarification notes on BGG -- and there are more than 3 pertinent questions players have had. As one who worked so hard getting Wilderness War questions into a usable FAQ/Errata sheet and updating this whenever necessary, I find it lackluster support when others don't do the same. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, as the fanboys don't seem to care. Hope not too many issues will come up. Don't get me wrong -- questions are answered, but for we "Johnny-come- latelys," it's impossible to figure out what questions have been answered (and how) without going through thousands of messages.

On the other hand, C&C:A is wonderfully supported -- check out this fantastic C&C:A support site! Of course, a guy like John Foley (who runs this site and does so much for the hobby) always gives 100%, even when it's tough to do so.

OK, enough of that mini-rant! Onto C&C:A!

I'm not sure how many scenarios we'll get to (a lot will depend on the length of that other game), but we're going to try to play through the 5 scenarios being used at the upcoming WBCs.

A very fun scenario (one of my favorites, even though it seems to favor Rome in the game) is the Battle of the Trebbia, 218 BC -- this is the Round 3 battle. The Romans were suckered into battle by Hannibal, and ambushed by Mago, Hannibal's brother. The Roman Consul Sempronius learned his Hannibal lesson the hard way. It was an interesting battle, and the Romans even won the center, only to lose it on both flanks. Some info here, if you're interested: Trebbia in Wikipedia.

So, more organizing today, then a lot of glorious gaming to look forward to tomorrow!

9 comments:

Mr. W said...

If you get to CSW, check out this post on the Warriors of God folder:

Joe Oppenheimer - Jul 13, 2008 2:51 pm (#1028 Total: 1029)

You'll see what I mean -- a lot of niggling little questions that need to be included in a FAQ.

And I would've done this wrong tomorrow, if I hadn't seen this post.

Mr. W said...

I tried to prompt them (2 posts after Joe's).

We'll see...

Mr. W said...

A mea culpa after my question.

Perhaps something will come, one of these days...

Anonymous said...

Well I'm still gonna try to read the rules before tomorrow morning anyway lol

Mr. W said...

Go, Bob, Go!

I have a sheet with the 4 errata I know about I'll be bringing.

The game is quite easy, by the looks of it.

Msample said...

Rob - I see your better half is registered for WBC this year . Is she really attending ?

Mr. W said...

No, not this year. Things got really screwed up...

Mr. BACSIM said...

I'm seriously considering bringing at least some of my girls next year. I'm sure it would make it more palatable for my wife if it was a "girls and me" vacation. Not sure how to do it though.

Mr. W said...

Well, if they play games there a re a lot of juniors events.

Don't let 'em get involved with that weird "Werewolf" crowd, though...