Monday, July 14, 2008

Joan of Arc dies young...

Short post today -- I apologize in advance. Away all day at Bob Titran's, then dealing with some crap at home (what's new, eh?).

***BGG is down for maintenance, so I can't link to games there***

Anyway, always the gracious host, Bob had WofG laid out and after chatting for a while, we embarked on the "Lion in Winter Scenario (1100s-1200s). I drew the French and luck really went my way -- we ended on Turn 7 out of 12 with a French auto victory of 30 points. We decided to switch sides, then, and play the "100 Years War" scenario. It was back and forth all game, until about Turn 9, when 5 of Bob's 6 leaders died. I was able to take advantage of the carnage, and the final count was an English victory at 16 VPs. And to keep it historical, Bob had a chance to come back with Joan of Arc on the rampage -- but she moved into Burgundy and died (roll of a "1" -- burned at the stake, I guess!).

A really fun game that played relatively smoothly. It is procedural, and I think this will wear on me, but initial impressions are good.

We had lunch at the Brick Oven restaurant, then came back for a game of C&C:A. In the Bagdaras (sp?) scenario, Bob took Carthage, I got Rome. Carthage got off to a good start, but then three elephants died within 2 turns, and it evened up. Once the lines smashed together, my lucky die rolling stayed with me and Rome pulled out a 7-4 victory. We both commented on what a great, fun game this is.

I have to bring my car in tomorrow for a tune-up, oil change, and a/c work -- maybe I'll retire to the dungeon and fool around with WofG for a bit...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!, That didn't sound like fun for Bob. What happened to his lucky rolls?. You guys played a lot of games in one day.

BTW,, Joan was burned with the steaks.

Mr.Cory

Richard Simon said...

Five of six leaders died on one turn? Why not just save setting up the game and roll dice twenty times: highest total wins?

Mr. BACSIM said...

Joan just really hated losing. It just burned her up.

Of course, when she failed in the game I would presume that Bob fired her. Pretty extreme since he appears to carry a torch for her. Probably he was hoping they could re-kindle something later on.

Mr. W said...

Cory -- the dice gods were with me that day, no doubt about it!

Mr. W said...

Rich -- to be fair, things do tend to even out over time (though, of course, they don't have to!). Bob's leaders had been living pretty lengthy lives up to that point...

Mr. W said...

Grant -- Bad, very bad! In the game, Joan has some cool powers in that she can pretty much incapacitate poor English leaders. In our game, she never got the chance!

Mr. BACSIM said...

Cooling powers would definitely have helped the lass...

Anonymous said...

>>Joan just really hated losing. It just burned her up.<<

She was French and I hear she was "Hot".

Cory

Mr. BACSIM said...

I'll resist further puns, as the flaming that will result cause too many people to get hot under the collar!