Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fun and Busy Days...

Tuesday evening, Nels Thompson came by and we played 2 Combat Commander scenarios from the randomly generated section. First up, we went my German company attacking his Soviet company. Line units all around, and I advanced too slowly (mainly because he was killing me!) and ran out of time, losing big. Next game saw me draw an elite Russian detachment attacking his line German detachment. I made better advances here, and ended up winning, after a lot of brutal house-to house fighting. Nels lives in Buffalo but works in Rochester, so he crashed here. A fun evening.

Next morning, Bob Titran comes by, and we decide to play Command & Colors: Ancients. First we do a Successors battle, Gabiene, twice. Bob crushed me in the first game, killing my elephants early and having them trample my infantry. I came back in the second. We moved onto Gaugamela, and Bob wanted the Persians. Alexander's companion cavalry was like a panzer army, and the Persians were soon decimated. I offered to switch sides (this one looks too easy for the Macedonians, for my tastes), but Bob wanted to try Darius again, and though it was a closer, Alexander still came out ahead. We finished with my Romans (I was Caesar!) invading Britain. The legions were met at the shore by brave warriors, and almost driven back, but the line stiffened and I got a couple very lucky rolls, so Rome got its foothold in the British Isles!

I had to run and take Cheyenne to her private lesson, and the skies opened up. Man, but it rained hard. Bob was caught in it going back to Grand Island, glad he made it safely!

Then, in the early evening, Nels calls and wonders if I'm up for more gaming. Of course, I say, but I need a quick nap first (forgot to mention Deanna called in the wee hours of the morning to let me know she was safely in Seattle, so I didn't sleep well), so I crashed for 30 minutes, and Nels came by around 8:00. We did another random scenario, and I decided that I was going for a platoon, hoping to be the defender. Well, we got a 1941 German vs. British scenario on a hilly map, so we decided it was Crete, and Germans vs. Kiwis. Nels went for the company, so I was really outnumbered. I did pick up prepared minefields and a lot of wire, to try and slow his advance. Luckily for me, the Germans didn't get any artillery. Well, this was a real tense one, as I felt I was always on the verge of losing (either via surrender, since I had so few units, or by Nels breaking through and getting exit VPs).The game ended on Turn 7, just in time for me! The minefields did their job, and the New Zealanders were tough, winning all 3 melees they got into. This was one of the most fun CC games I've played -- so tense for a small defending force vs. overwhelming odds. Thank God for mines and wire...


Waiting for the German Onslaught...

Tonight, Bill Peeck comes by to finish up our Espana 1936 game. Now, if it will only stop raining...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see gaming has improved your spirits :)

Hope all is well.

Mr. W said...

Gaming is always good -- especially since it's been so rainy the past few days.

:-)

Mr. BACSIM said...

Damn, Winslow is going to need to go back to work just to get a break from gaming!

Mr. W said...

Never!