Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Moving Sale...


Our house isn't even on the market yet (still work to be done), but Deanna decided we need to have a moving sale. Just what I want for 2 days (this coming Friday and Saturday) -- trashy people coming into my yard trying to find deals on garbage.

I can't wait!

But I have promised her I will get together some old junk of mine (no games!) and set them out. I do have a lot of stuff to go through, so I figure getting a few boxes full of junk won't be too much of a problem. But the thought of those people in my yard.

Yuck...

It seems like this "fixing the house up" and packing stuff is never-ending. You'll no doubt continue to hear me bitch about it until we're in the new place.

I have to find time to go practice with Cheyenne today too -- and it's gonna be a scorcher here, 90+F with high humidity. She was a real handful on her walk last night, as she didn't "like" the new rules. She has to learn, though, as it will make our lives easier (and happier).

Not much on the gaming front. Bill is coming over to play Espana 1936 tonight, and I'm looking forward to that -- assuming I have any energy left by this evening. I also did something yesterday I rarely do -- I exhibited self-control in Millennium, one of the local game stores. As a member of the Rochester Gamers, I receive 20% off my purchases there. I also have a $5 stre credit chip that I've yet to use. So I'm reading about how people seem to like this game Manoeuvre, an abstract little diddy on Napoleonic-era warfare. The store has 2 copies at $45. Hmm... Discount is $9, plus another $5 for the chip, my cost will be $31, not bad. I carried the game around with me for a while, then put it back and left. I remembered I have too many unpacked games still sitting around the house.

Maybe after I move...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buying a house and moving are in my top 5 of most stressful life events, I don't envy you.

No games? I'll scratch your sale off my weekend list, though my parents may stop by. I did buy a reel mower on your street about 8 years ago, it's still going strong.

Anonymous said...

Manoeuvre is fun and fast, plus it uses cards and no hexes. It is good to have kicking around.

Anonymous said...

I liked Manoeuvre when it first came out but it burned out rather quickly for me. After you 'learn' the idiosyncrasies of each armies' cards, the game pretty much comes down to luck of the draw. And some of the draws can be VERY frustrating.

The game kind of went from a 7.5 (pretty good) quickly to a 3.5 (pretty bad) on my score card. I doubt that I will touch it again.

A good beer-and-pretzels game, perhaps, but the beer gets stale and the pretzels get soggy.

Mr. W said...

Yard sales are something I've always avoided -- I just like to throw things out...

Mr. W said...

As for Manoeuvre, it does seem to be a love/hate type of game. I guess my best avenue would be to play it first.

And I still have my $5 credit! :-)

Anonymous said...

OFF TOPIC

I posted the counter scan to Grant's Bolg on CSW

ON TOPIC

Manouvre - sounds like a good game IF you don't play it to death

Mr. BACSIM said...

For what it's worth, the bitching won't end once you move in. I find that you spend as much time *unpacking* as you do packing. Inevitably there are a set of boxes that you just don't get to until you find you desperately need something that *might* be inside.

Once you unpack the 75% of the stuff you use a lot, the reasons to unpack the other 25% seem to fade away...

Msample said...

How much are you selling the stepbrats for ?

Richard Simon said...

To paraphrase Robin Williams" Moving is God's way of telling you that you have too much stuff!

I lived through several garage sales. The best thing is get out of the way and let the females run this.

Anonymous said...

Maneouvre subnote...

Forgot this thought in my original reply: I really don't like 'square' oriented games. Makes the movement very artificial regardless of whether you allow or disallow diagonal movement. It also invariably creates some 'odd' tactical situations.

OK, I'm done now...

Anonymous said...

Left you a Birthday gift of sorts on CSW Rob.

Everything was painted ( indoors and out ) at our new place but I will have someone do all the moving for me. I won't even be here when it happens. You know,, too busy making money to pay the guys moving me.

CW

Mr. W said...

Yeah, moving has always sucked.

I miss the nice little house I had before I met Deanna.

The only good thing will be that we'll get a nice house which will be OUR house, not kids that need to be sold...

Gotta get Cheyenne out for some exercise before it rains, then get back to the packing/organizing...

Anonymous said...

>>But I have promised her I will get together some old junk of mine (no games!)

Cancel Columbus to Rochester road trip. :-(

Actually I will be in NYC this weekend for a big family party.

Mr. W said...

Wave when you fly over (and no going to the bathroom then!).