Saturday, December 6, 2008

Crap, crap, and more crap...

So, Thursday morning at around 9:30 (in the middle of class), I get a call from PetSmart and they tell me there's been an accident. WTF?!?! I yell into the phone, "Is Cheyenne OK?" They reply she has a little injury, but will be fine, and wanted to know what I wanted them to do. Basically, she and this black German Shepard, Zack, have been "going at" each other through the kennel glass whenever Cheyenne walks past his kennel (Zack starts it, Cheyenne continues it). On Thursday, as they were getting Cheyenne to take to "Day Camp," she escaped the clutches of the handler and ran right over to Zack's kennel. There, she leaped toward him (and he toward her), and she caught the top of her paw on the sharp edge of the metal door frame, giving her a nasty puncture wound. They wanted to have the vet in the store stitch her up, but I wanted to take her to my vet, so I made an appointment for 2:30 and booked out of school to get her.

At my vet's, they thought there was a decent chance that they could use glue to meld it together, and this would heal quicker than stitches. I agreed. To make a long story short, the glue didn't work when she was checked today, so she got 7 stitches (3 internal, 4 external).

Now, what this costs me...

>$250 in vet bills, so far

I have to watch her constantly (unless she has a Victorian collar on), which means I probably won't be going to the Sabres/Maple Leafs game next Friday.

PetSmart will not take her if she's injured (feckers -- I need to find somewhere else to go...), so she'll be at a vet's (not mine) that has 7:30 drop-off.

I have 7:30 homeroom and a 7:55 class. Gotta have someone cover my homeroom for the next week and a half and it will be close getting to class on time.

She has to be walked in the yard on a leash (so as to not damage the stitches by running).

Oy...

After everything I went through with Gypsy a couple years ago, I was hoping to avoid this for a while. At least with Cheyenne, she will get better.

So, I didn't make it to UB for the Bacsim meet today, crap. I was really looking forward to it. The next 10 days are going to be complete pains in the ass.

Merry Christmas, ho-ho-ho...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that really sucks, but sometimes they cause us trouble don't they? Sprocket set us back about $300 last month when he developed a hot spot on his leg and licked it raw. Victorian collar, medication, office visit etc., it all adds up. Then a couple weeks ago he developed two more, aargh! Thankfully we still had some of the meds left and they dried up within a couple days. Best of luck with Cheyenne's injury. Maybe you can find a babysitter and still get to the game. :)

Mr. W said...

Just no fun for dog or owner when the dog needs to be constantly watched so she won't rip out stitches...

Right now, I'm giving her a break from the collar (she hates it!), so I have to watch her like a hawk.

Glad Sprocket's doing OK now!

And I will call a few people about the game, but I think I'll probably be staying home with her...

Anonymous said...

It's probably for the best. The Leafs will win anyway.

Mr. W said...

Looks like Cory can go, I just have to trust others with Cheyenne...

Anonymous said...

Must be tough owner a "Biker Dog".

>> PetSmart will not take her if she's injured <<

Wait!, She got hurt at their store. How does that work ?.

Looking forward to my first Hockey game in 35 years ( went to see the LA kings )

Cory.

Mr. W said...

Yeah, I know, PetSmart definitely screwed me...

The way the Sabres have been playing lately, you might want to think twice about going...