Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ramble On...


That's the tune "Slacker" Radio is now playing, "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin. Haven't heard this one for a while...

I think I heard that a few post office locations around here will be open today. I hope so, as I need to get a birthday package out to my sister in San Francisco -- her birthday is December 26th. Still have some Christmas shopping to do for a few folks, but will probably finish that on line. Christmas has turned from something I used to love when my step-father was alive to something I loathe. I look forward to the break from school, but other than playing with Cheyenne (she'll have almost 2 weeks of pent-up energy to release!) and (I hope) getting some gaming in, not much in the way of excitement.

Today I need to finish up my 5-week progress reports. Most of my students are doing very well, but there are a handful who are having problems (and this is across all classes, not just mine). Anyone who thinks parents aren't THE most important facet of a child's education should check out the (lack of) parenting given to the kids doing poorly. It's really a shame -- you work with them during the day, and after school, then they go home and all is lost. Oh well...

On the gaming front, the 4-player pbem Successors game is underway and I believe I need to get my first move in today. It's a fun game, we'll see what happens. Mike and I finished up our Hannibal game last Wednesday, and Hannibal's forces pretty much raped Italy, so we called it after Turn 8 (of 9). Mike learned some things, and we're switching sides and will play again. On Thursday, Bill and I played Scenario 5 (Cold Front) of Combat Commander. We played it twice, switching sides. My Germans beat off the advancing Siberians in the first game (gotta love that German HMG!), while my Siberians overwhelmed the German positions in the 2nd game. Bill's whining was, well, classic. I really do need to tape it!

This week has brought me a load of games -- Fall of South Vietnam (ebay), 2 de Mayo and Texas Glory (Boards and Bits), and Unhappy King Charles (GMT P500). A real bounty, with more good stuff on the way. Merry Christmas to me...

Well, I didn't win Lotto, so I won't be retiring to the Caribbean. Yet...

7 more school days. I can do it, I can do it.

No comments: