Monday, December 22, 2008

Snow Day!

Yeppers -- today I had off due to snow, cold, and wind (which was making for whiteout conditions). I heard the NYS Thruway was closed from Henrietta (SW of Rochester) all the way through Buffalo and to the Pennsylvania Line.

I'm just glad i got to go back to sleep...

On Saturday, I did go to Millennium and have fun. Played 7 games and only won 1, d'oh! But I had fun in all of them...

Played 2 games of 2 de Mayo with Bob Titran. Both games came right down to the wire, and Bob outfoxed me at the end, both times! It's a very "neat" little game, that will play differently each time due to the cards. We both liked it, and it plays quickly, so I imagine this one will come out a lot through the years.

We then had lunch at the Indian place next door (excellent buffet -- probably the best ethnic food buffet I've ever had), and returned for a game of Combat Commander: Med. We went with the Random Scenario Generator (RSG), and I got an Italian Line Company guarding a small housing complex located in a Libyan oasis, from an attack by an Elite British Detachment. In the end, my 2 MMGs were able to keep the Brits at bay, giving Mussolini a victory. The RSG games are always a lot of fun...

Rest of the day was spent playing euros -- 2 games of Chicago Express (CE) and 1 of Alhambra. They were both fun, and CE is something I have on order -- it is definitely a train game that is enjoyable (not all are to me).

Just finalizing Christmas stuff, paying bills (ugh!), and hoping to get more gaming in. Woo-hoo!

24 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

I want to try out Chicago Express. It looked interesting when I saw a playtest version at WBC.

Any decision yet Rob?

Anonymous said...

I like Thali a little more than the place in Millenium's plaza, though it's pretty good.

Anonymous said...

George

You like Thai food better then Indian Food, right?.
Because the Restaurant in that Mall is Indian. I am not a fan of Indian food ( now I know why they are starving over there ) and prefer Thai myself.

Cory

Mr. W said...

It's looking good, Grant.

I will know by manana.

Mr. W said...

Indian Restaurants -- that's why we have more than one! Thali is fine, but I find the spices at Taste of India to be superior -- they do something I really, really like.

Besides, it's run by the parents of an ex-student of mine, and I still go there whenever I can, even though I no longer get the "Teacher Discount!"

Mr. W said...

Cory, Cory, Cory, you're talking like a Fredonian!

I love both Thai and Indian, and would be hard-pressed to list one over the other as a "favorite." Definitely the two "ethnic" foods I would always choose, given the choice.

(My Fumia and Caggiula relatives are rolling over in their graves, so I'll throw in that I'd take linguine and clam sauce, too!)

Anonymous said...

Thai - yes

Indian - NO f'n way, ever again

Mr. W said...

Indian food is very diverse, and it varies by region (Southern Indian is VERY different from Northern Indian). There's so much good stuff to choose from, and I've never met anyone who didn't like Tandoori or Naan!

Anonymous said...

Rob

Nothing better then Angel Hair pasta and and clam sauce, Mmmmmm!! Yum, yum.

>>even though I no longer get the "Teacher Discount!"<<

Bastards!!

>> Indian - NO f'n way, ever again <<
Same here Mr. Boston. I got sooo !! sick from it.
Our bass Player at the time also had an allergic reaction from it.

Cory

Anonymous said...

Cory,

No, I like Thai a lot, and make a mean Tom Kar Kai, but there's also a very good Indian restaurant named Thali of India on the other side of Henrietta.

Indian is a good fallback restaurant for us, even in places where most places are mediocre (I'm thinking New Brunswick), the Indian places are good.

Anonymous said...

hey, my post disappeared ????????

Anonymous said...

Oh well, trying again..........

See, SEE.......!!!!!!!

Cory has taste :)

On another tasteful note, I got the 3DN DVD recently. Other than the intro with the idio..., er, fans trying to sing, it was excellent :)

Anonymous said...

Rob, for some reason I have not been able to find an Indian or a Thai restaurant here in L.A. that compares with the ones in Rochester. No Kidding! Thai: King and I--it rocks. For Indian, we went to a place in central Rochester. It is near one of the big Junior High schools. Their Sunday brunch was excellent. Rumor was, the old gentleman that runs the place was a former Indian diplomat.

Steve Williams

Mr. W said...

Cory, LINGUINE, not wussy angel hair pasta with clam sauce!

Mr. W said...

We'll just have to force John and Cory to eat Indian food...

Mr. W said...

Steve, great to hear from you!

Rochester definitely has some good restaurants, and, when you take its size into consideration, well, we're pretty damn lucky.

The King and I is always good -- I went there with Bob Titran a month or so ago and he really liked it. Was the Indian place you went to "India House?" Or the "Taj Mahal?" I think either of those would fit the description.

I still like Taste of India the best (opened after you left town), with Thali (George's fav) a close second.

Anonymous said...

Rob, just dropping by to wish you, Deanna, and Cheyenne a very merry Christmas. Have a fun one!

Pete

Mr. W said...

Thanks, Pete, the same right back at ya!

Anonymous said...

hmmm.

"We'll just have to force John and Cory to eat Indian food..."

well the last time

my breath stunk,

my urine stunk,

my sweat stunk,

& the s**t really STUNK

I suppose with enough alcohol anything may be possible :(

TIME TO MAKE GARLIC, ANCHOVIES & OLIVE OIL SAUCE FOR THE SPAGHETTI

Mr. W said...

Yum! Alio e olio with anchovies -- my Grandfather's favorite!

Anonymous said...

and YOU wanted to feed me that Indian stuff.................. ;)

Mr. W said...

Hey, I can appreciate ALL good cuisine -- as my belly readily attests to!

Anonymous said...

Rob, it was India House.

steve

Anonymous said...

"Hey, I can appreciate ALL good cuisine"

so can I, (& I suspect Cory can also), the Indian I have had just ain't it.... :)

Oh BTW the spaghetti was followed next meal by my homemade lasagna.