Thursday, December 4, 2008

What a Slacker!

Yeah, I've been a horrible slacker, lately...

Since my last update, before Thanksgiving, we've had the following:

Thanksgiving
Syracuse Basketball goes to 8-0
Played Hannibal x2
Played Combat Commander x2
Had 2 new dog training days
And a lot of other boring stuff...

Thanksgiving was fine, nothing exciting. I made oyster stuffing and a peppery giblet gravy. For dinner, I had a lot of dark meat, stuffing, gravy, and whole-berry cranberry sauce. Most excellent. Had some of Deanna's pumpkin pie later in the evening, and it was good (though I prefer my non-cook pumpkin chiffon pie!). Didn't really bother with the football games, as the match-ups all sucked. Played poker into the night, though my Visa will no longer deposit money into my Poker Stars account (I had recently taken back a good deal of winnings, so when I went to put more $$ in, I was rejected -- I need to do an e-check one of these evenings...).

Syracuse won a tourney in Kansas City, beating #17 Florida and #22 Kansas in the process. And they kept winning, beating Virginia, Colgate, and Cornell after that. They're an exciting team that has the bad habit of falling behind early, then coming on like gangbusters and winning the second half. Jim "2-3 Zone" Boeheim has a team that excels at man-to-man D, and whenever they get out of their zone, they play much better. AP has them ranked #16 now, and the top 25 has EIGHT Big East teams in it -- a third of the poll. What a monster conference, I'm betting 10 teams get into the NCAAs (they should).

I played a practice game of Hannibal with Mike last week, to help him learn the mechanics (we ended after 3 turns). Last evening we started a real game, and are through 6 turns. My Carthaginians have the upper hand, but Mike's Romans had a good last turn, with Scipio Africanus leading the way. Should be an interesting end...

Bob Titran came by last Saturday, and we played a couple games of Combat Commander. First game was from the paratrooper battle pack, a fight over glider resupply outside Bastogne on 12-27-44. My American paras were able to overcome the evil Germans and pick up the victory. After a nice Thai lunch, we decided to use the Random Scenario Generator for a new game. Bob rolled up the Italians in 1940, while I got Allied Minors, so the scenario worked out to a Greek company trying to take back a village held by an Italian Blackshirt detachment. A couple of weenie armies, which made the scenario a lot of fun -- it took me a while to get the Greeks going, but they were on the move. Then we thought we had misplayed a victory condition (which, in hindsight we hadn't, d'oh!), so we decided to call it for the Blackshirts, as Bob had to hit the road anyway. All in all, good fun, and I think this may be my favorite game right now -- so much happens!

On Saturday night, I was talked into playing a game with Deanna and 2 kids. The 4 of us ended up playing Santa Fe Rails, and it was actually pretty fun. Brad, the youngest, ended up winning with 163 points, I was 2nd with 159. I admit, I helped him out, and I didn't play as cutthroat as I could (should?) have, but it was pretty fun, nonetheless.

Cheyenne's new training regimen has begun, and she's not getting along with an English Mastiff in class. The Mastiff growls at other dogs, and this pisses Cheyenne off, so she barks back at him, and gets all the dogs going. She needs to learn that it might not be a good idea barking at t dog 3 times her size! She is a smart dog, but so damn stubborn. Maybe she has a little Sicilian blood in her, as I do.

And life goes on. I have gaming and Cheyenne to keep me busy, and I really need to get back into shape (this is proving elusive). I also need to focus on getting a game design going, I really do.

Oh yeah, I need to be more vigilant here, too.

So many resolutions, waiting for the New Year...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

> Oh yeah, I need to be more vigilant here, too.<

Yeah!, I want my money back ( Oh wait )

It's good you guys played a game as a family. That is really a lot of fun. Mary and I ( daughter is gone to AZ ) and I played "Ticket to Ride". Not a lot of fun with two people but it's Mary's favorite game right now so I go with the flow. I have to work this weekend but then I'm off for 3 glorious weeks.

Cory

Anonymous said...

Rob, ain't life a blast and a pain in the ass at times. Still, life has so many distractions and things to do the we all can bounce back from any pain in the ass so we can have a blast.

Mark

Mr. BACSIM said...

I really should get TTR Norway or something for family play. Sigh. Unfortunately, money is going to be tight for a while.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you meant to say "#22 NATIONAL CHAMPION Kansas." TN

Mr. BACSIM said...

No, he meant "#22 whupped at home by then unranked Syracuse Kansas". Although "no longer ranked Kansas" may have worked just as well.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Well, technically it was a neutral site (20 miles from home), but your point is taken. Still, I get to use "National Champion" for another four months and since I think it may be a long season for Jayhawk fans, I'll take that small victory when I can. :-) TN

Mr. W said...

The Jayhawks will do just fine, Tim.

And yes, you still get 4 months of bragging!

Mr. BACSIM said...

No it's good. It's fun when we get to say "our team beat the national champions"!

:-)