Sunday, July 6, 2008

City of Thieves


I just finished a nice book, City of Thieves. It's a novel by David Benioff that takes place, basically, during one week of the WWI siege of Leningrad. Although I have little or no interest in WWII on the Eastern Front, I found this book completely fascinating.

A young Russian Jew (half starved) caught for looting the body of a German airman and a university student accused of deserting (he just wanted to get a little booty and missed his ride back) are thrown together in a quest to find a dozen eggs for an NKVD's Colonel's daughter's weeding (a cake must be made and there are no eggs in Leningrad!) -- a quest that seems impossible, but it's either that or a bullet in each of their heads.

Very compelling reading of all the horrors of war wrought on the old city. Equally compelling reading through the adventures in the countryside, with a partisan band, and as prisoners. It was all very believable, and it made me think a little about the Soviets in WWII as people, and not just cardboard counters I tended to avoid.

Ah, well, back to the real world of packing...

Cheyenne has her first private lesson tomorrow -- wish us well!

And yes, as much as I've been avoiding it, I'm another year closer to death...

6 comments:

MCardwny said...

Happy B-Day.

Mr. W said...

Grazie!

I was thinking of you when I read this book -- you'd like it, if you can drag yourself away from those boring non-fiction books!

Anonymous said...

Happy bday

Anonymous said...

happy B-Day

at least you don't have to WORK on yours :)

Anonymous said...

Cory here

Happiest of all days to you Rob.
Your getting closer to my age ( Oh wait? ).

Sounds like a good night time bed story for the Kids.

Mr. W said...

These 29th birthdays are always the hardest. Thanks!

And City of Thieves would be good night time reading -- especially the cannibalism scene. Or maybe the sawing off of a girl's ankles (that one made even I squeamish).

The "Mine Dog" aftermath just pissed me off. A-hole Ruskies...