Thursday, July 3, 2008

Rainy Day Blues Ain't So Bad...

It's could be one of those days if we let it...

Went to the Public Market with Deanna this morning. It's always fun to go there and watch all the characters -- forget the shopping! Actually, there are many great deals to be had, though one has to be sure to go only to the local farmers. Some of the booths are just manned by guys who buy Florida and California produce and resell it. Once you know who the locals are (and it's pretty easy to determine -- about 2/3 of the vendors), sticking with them gets you some excellent fruits and veggies. Today we came home with Cherries, Apricots (California, but Deanna really wanted them), Red Leaf and Romaine Lettuce, Beet Greens, Zucchini, Red Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, and, best of all, homemade Parmesan treats for Cheyenne (yes, she loved the one she got, we'll make these last as special treats!). I have always loved Beet Greens, so I know what I'm having for dinner tonight...

We went out for lunch afterwards at the Beale Street Cafe, a New Orleans style restaurant (and quite good -- though stick to the original in the South Wedge, not the sister restaurant that popped up in Webster). I had their "Big Salad" with Crayfish while Deanna had a small Caesar Salad and a big bowl of their soup of the day, Black Bean and Smoked Chicken. She brought about half home with her, as the portions are big. I felt good about myself, eating healthy there. No Etouffees for me!

Oh yeah, we also stopped at the Natural Pet Food Store (no website, unfortunately) to pick up food and treats (Sweet Potato Chews!) for Cheyenne. She can never have enough treats... LOL!

It looks like we're going to have a garage sale the weekend of the 19th, so I need to start gearing up for that now, but I guess it's (marginally) better than throwing stuff away or, worse, packing up junk to move with us...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you're going to sell all your games in the garage sale, let us know. ;>)

Mr. W said...

I've got a mint SPI "Operation Typhoon" I'll be selling for 75 cents...

Seriously, Deanna asked if I were selling any games.

HA!

Mr. BACSIM said...

Aren't you giving them away?

Mr. W said...

Sure, I have a couple old copies of AH's Hannibal I never sold on ebay...