Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Freakin' Vehicle...

I drive an 11 year old Toyota RAV4. It's been a good vehicle -- I got it my last year in Virginia (which means I've been back in Rochester for 10 years, wow, but time flies!). We're up to around 130,000 miles, but it's "structurally" sound and I can't really afford to sink money into a new vehicle until the housing stuff is finished. So, knowing I have a long drive scheduled to Lancaster, PA in a few weeks, need an oil change, and have a/c that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, I made an appointment with the Monro Muffler within walking distance of my house. They've done right by me in the past, so I figure to keep sending business their way.

7:45 AM yesterday, Cheyenne and I drive up there. I drop the vehicle off, and reiterate that I'm here for a tune-up, an oil change, and a/c work. The guy takes my key, and Cheyenne and I go on a 20 minute walk back to the house. A fine way to start the morning!

Well, it's another busy day (though I did get a chance to set up WofG for some solitaire fooling around -- and I never do this, so it must be a good sign about the game), so before I know it it's after 4:00 PM and they haven't called me.

I call, and the guy that answers the phone checks the computer and says, "Oil change is done, the a/c worked while in here, so we couldn't replicate, or fix, the problem. It's been ready since this morning."

My response is, "This morning? I never got a call! And what about the tune-up, what's the damage?"

Silence for a few seconds on the other end, then the Monro guy utters, "We apologize for not calling sooner, it's been a busy day. As for a tune-up, you didn't have one scheduled, as far as I can see. Here on the computer it says, 'tune oil change fix a/c.'"

"Huh? I think you forgot to type 'up' after tune, as I've never heard of a 'tune oil change' before."

"Hang on, let me check with the manager and get right back to you."

Hang up, wondering what I did in life to deserve this...

47 minutes later (yes, I timed it), the manager calls back and tells me he can get it done right before closing (which is 7:00 PM) for a sum too large that I'm embarrassed to type it... Needing my vehicle in tip-top shape for the summer's travels, I reluctantly agree.

I walk up there with Cheyenne at 6:30 PM, retracing our steps from the morning, and my RAV4 is still being worked on. Dogs aren't allowed in the waiting room, so no a/c for us while we wait. I find a shady spot under a tree, and we wait. At 7:07 PM, the vehicle comes out of the garage. They're closing up, so I put Cheyenne in the jalopy, they quickly cash me out, give me my key back, and tell me to come back whenever the a/c stops working, to see if they can figure it out.

I drive away to run a few errands, with a much lighter wallet. But the engine sounds good (that funny "knock" I was getting is gone) and the a/c is definitely working. As I'm finishing up at around 8:00 PM, the a/c dies.

Of course, the damn place is closed.

Story of my life sometimes...

16 comments:

Mr. BACSIM said...

Ah, this explains your "hot" dice over the weekend.

Anonymous said...

she was HOT and so was he.

Cory

Mr. W said...

Good luck/bad luck, eh?

Msample said...

You should have brought a bigger, more threatening dog than Cheyenne.....

Anonymous said...

>You should have brought a bigger, more threatening dog than Cheyenne.....<

What for?. Her luck and Die rolling isn't any better then Rob's

Cory

Anonymous said...

Rob

Never, I say never take your car to any of those Jiffy Lub, Monroe Muffler,etc. kinds of places. They are rip off's and do not know what they are doing. They hire one guy that is kind of a machanic and then newbies that keep asking "how do I do this". They suck.

Find a nice local garage and take it there.

Cory

Anonymous said...

Mechanic


sorry I just caught that

Mr. W said...

Next time, I go with a pit bull!

Mr. W said...

The good garage guy I used to have here in town closed up shop 4 years ago (right after I got married) when the co-owners died. He sold the place, and they converted to a mini mart/gas station, so no repairs there.

This Monro Muffler actually has mechanics who have been there for a long time. They've always done good work for a fair price for me and were recommended by several friends. This is the first problem I've ever had with them...

Unknown said...

For a while, I took my car to the local BOHICA Lube. There is one thing I do like about them - you can sit in the car while they waste your time and money.

After a couple of visits, I realized that I was being repeatedly assaulted and fleeced. The evil genuis of having you sit - trapped - in your car, means you are put under psychological pressure to say yes to their evil offerings.

I then vowed to go back to my local garage. They are my friends. They do NOT fleece me. They do NOT try to ring up useless charges. And they've given me a lot of breaks. So, if they say, you really need a new "whatever", I say "yes". Only a dire emergency will bring me back to BOHICA Lube.

Rob - I'm desperately overworked right now, I just don't know if I can make WBC. I really don't want to miss it - it's my chance to see you and other great guys as well. I'll let you know.

Mr. W said...

John,

That would be a shame if you don't make WBC... :-(

Anonymous said...

We're happy with the Wire Wheel, but they're only a mile or two from us.

Mr. W said...

Wire Wheel?

Sounds like a strip club!

Anonymous said...

OK Rob next time, make your appt at Grand Island Auto. Drop your car off (or have it towed lol). I'll pick you up, we'll game all day then pick it up when it's done.

Yeah, I got hosed by a couple different Monroe/Speedy Muffler type places. Never again...

PS Espana arrived today.

Anonymous said...

Now Bob,,, Rob thinks their OK and he likes one or two of the crooks ( sorry mechanics )so let him learn the hard way Mmmmmhhhhhaaaa!!.

Mike C.

Mr. W said...

OK, Bob, we're on for the Grand Island guys (good excuse for a game day!).

As for the rest of you comedians... ;-)